Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2008 3:10:17 PM EDT
What is the going rate per 20 round box of chinese ammo that was banned in the 90's? The bullets attract magnets.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Steel CORE would imply an armor piercing round in most cases...Wouldnt be available to the average Joe.

Are you thinking steel jacketed?

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is the going rate per 20 round box of chinese ammo that was banned in the 90's? The bullets attract magnets.

What is the "brand" name on the box and yes there is chinese steel core out there. The color of the box may help identify it too. Some of the sellers on Gunbroker are askin' $.80-$.90 cents a round.Mad Max son of Madtechcool

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know it is loose and there are some boxes.  I haven't seen it yet but was wondering the general market prices.  Head stamps 31,71, 311 and 351 are all lead core afik but what are the steel core head stamps?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
usually steel case goes for around $10 for a box of 20 rounds

steel core varies depending on the seller but ive seen it as high as $350 for a 550 round tin.

I still buy norinco for less that what most people pay for WOlf
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:05:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I still buy norinco for less that what most people pay for WOlf

care to say how????
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#6]

double post
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The bullets attract magnets.

The fact that the magnet is attracted to the bullet indicates that the bullet jacket is steel, as with most of the Russian commercial ammunition imported today.
Chinese steel core ammunition also used a steel jacket.
Most (if not all) of the Chinese ammunition made in the '70s has a steel core. I've never seen copper washed Chinese cartridges that didn't have steel core bullets.
The surest way to determine steel core bullets is to pull one and scratch the exposed core with a nail.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#8]
theres still good deals to be had out there...i just wait around until i find a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have seen it before.  The case and bullet are copperwashed.  Does anyone know if it is corrosive?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:39:37 AM EDT
[#10]
All of the copper washed Chinese ammunition I've seen has been corrosive. I would treat it as such unless a test demonstrates it isn't.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Steel CORE would imply an armor piercing round in most cases...Wouldnt be available to the average Joe.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

I beg to differ..I seen many boxes of 20 for sale at the last fun show I attended the vendor actually had two bullet cut in half on a magnet to prove the core was steel,I didn't see any lead at all,seems he was asking $15 a box.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:03:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Chinese steel core bullets have three parts: a steel jacket, a lead 'sheath", and a steel core.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#14]
opinions vary on this topic, but one thing is for sure... norinco ammo is HOT right now!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's MILD steel, and simply makes the bullet cheaper to manufacture. It might penetrate SLIGHTLY more than regular lead ball, but it's not AP.

Can you provide information on the relative cost of production of lead vs. steel in any country that produced steel core bullets, along with the source of that information? Certainly, producing a three component bullet wasn't cheaper than producing a two part bullet, unless the steel was much less costly to make than the lead.

ETA: It would be wonderful if you would tell us all about your experience testing the relative penetration of steel core and lead core bullets. That way we'd know what your definition of "SLIGHTLY" is.
I agree that steel core isn't AP and wasn't intended to be AP (even though I've never tried to penetrate armor plate using it).

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#16]
An old post Chinese steel core vs Chinese lead core and 1/2" steel plate at 30 Yds.
http://www.ar15.com/lite/topic.html?b=4&f=54&t=110533
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top