Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2008 2:53:09 PM EDT
I'm about to receive my first my first "AK" style rifle......a Lancaster AKM.  I'd like to buy a few thousand rounds and wondered what everyones experiences were with the Wolf Military Classic FMJ and JHP.  Anyone ever have issues with the Wolf hollow-point round.....as far a reliable feeding?  Am I better off with the FMJ?  I would've added a poll, but I wasn't quite sure how to do it

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I went HP b/c of the reports about how it expands. I figure if you are going to use an AK, it would probably be against a soft target(i.e. i want expansion), but has enf UMP to bust through some body armor.

I have all chinese guns, no issues with HP
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:03:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Lancaster that eats the HP with zero problems.  It's pretty decently accurate as well...
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 1:11:21 AM EDT
[#3]
FMJ for practice, JHP for hunting and defense.  Wolf Military Classic 124 gr. JHP is one of the only cheap 7.62x39 rounds that expands (actually fragments within 100 meters) as intended.  

See my post on Page 2 of this thread for more information:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=54&t=103296&page=2
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link and the info
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been shooting hp and sp out of my milled ak... probably about 2000 rounds of HP without any feeding problems, and about 50 misfires. Shot about 200 rounds of SP with quite a few failure to feed. Also i did some tests with 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water, had about 8 of them all lined up on level ground and shot the HP and SP into the jugs to see how well they expand... I was disappointed... the HP did not expand at all and the SP hardly expanded! I'll try to get some pics of this fired ammo into the milk jugs. Between HP and FMJ i'd just get the cheapest... they'll both serve you well, but if you want minor expansion go with the SP.

Kevinhh
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been shooting hp and sp out of my milled ak... probably about 2000 rounds of HP without any feeding problems, and about 50 misfires. Shot about 200 rounds of SP with quite a few failure to feed. Also i did some tests with 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water, had about 8 of them all lined up on level ground and shot the HP and SP into the jugs to see how well they expand... I was disappointed... the HP did not expand at all and the SP hardly expanded! I'll try to get some pics of this fired ammo into the milk jugs. Between HP and FMJ i'd just get the cheapest... they'll both serve you well, but if you want minor expansion go with the SP.

Kevinhh

What type of Wolf ?  Wolf Polyformance ("Black Box") is not the same thing as Wolf Military Classic ("Camo Box").  Wolf Polyformance ("Black Box") is made at Tula, while Wolf Military Classic ("Camo Box") is made at Ulyanovsk.  

Wolf Military Classic JHP's use Ulyanovsk 8M3 bullets, which are supposed to fragment or expand like the bullet in this picture:
i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll141/Bob1984_photo/ulyhp0hc.jpg

The reason why these bullets fragment or expand:
i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll141/Bob1984_photo/WMCULYHP_3.jpg

What an 8M3 bullet does in gelatin:
i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll141/Bob1984_photo/jello7.jpg

What Dr. Gary K. Roberts says about the 8M3 bullet:

"Of note, most of the “cheap” Russian JHP/JSP ammunition offers poor terminal performance. The one that seems to work is the 7.62x39mm Saspan 124 gr JHP (Ulyanovsk Machinery Plant; 8M3 bullet); from a 16” AKMS the data is:

BG: vel=2297 f/s, pen=15.0”, Max TC=10cm@18cm, RD=0.63”, RW=100.5gr"

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Kevinhh

Fifty misfires in 2000 rounds?

I'd have that rifle looked at.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top