Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 4:37:15 PM EDT
 I just got my Bulgarian 7.62X54R 440rd tin of ammo in the mail; how do I open it?

I know,  I should have bought two tins, so I got the free opener, but I don't have enough money for that much ammo right now.   Will a regular can opener work?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Your can opener would have to be VERY strong.

Most guys I know who haven't had the opener, have either found and bought one, borrowed one, or gone to the hammer and chisel method.  If you're going to hammer and chisel, just make sure you have a strong chisel and angle towards the outer edge of the can when striking.

I'm guessing you could probably also do it with a hammer and screwdriver to start a hole, and then use some tin snips/wire snips to open the can too.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
plasma cutter FTW
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
dremmel?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
dremmel?

sparks and live ammo?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Old bayonet and a hammer works too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
anything with a blade and a hammer will work. Hell I have opened up one with a hatchet before.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:02:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I used a wide chisel and hammer on my first one, much easier and faster I think than the "can opener" that comes with the crates.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:36:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Gnaw on that sucker, it'll come open after about 5 teeth chip off.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#11]
obvious and FTMFW answer: buy two more tins
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hell I have opened up one with a hatchet before.

Please do not post video of this. We already have more than enough image problems.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Punch a hole, and use some shears.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#14]
roflmao, i'm glad someone is having problems opening a tin without the provided can opener because...i was just about to do the same by using a can opener

let me know how u open it.  I currently have the following at my disposal:

Can opener
M7 bayonet
Hammer
Hatchet

lots of guns and ammo.  If none of the above works, imma shoot it open
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please do not post video of this. We already have more than enough image problems.

See, I know what you are thinking. That I am some idiotic redneck hacking away at a full can of ammo. You are wrong.

I placed the tip if the hatchet along the side seam of the can facing down and tapped the back with a chunk of 2x4. It is the same as someone using a cold chisel or other thick bladed instrument to open one with percussion.I just went slowly around a corner and folded the metal back to expose enough to grab a string.

Makes a nifty ammo dispenser if you stick it on its side and pull out one box/paper package at a time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See, I know what you are thinking. That I am some idiotic redneck hacking away at a full can of ammo.

I wasn't thinking anything of the sort. I was thinking about what Barbara Boxer would say when she played the video at a stacked Senate "hearing" on a new AWB.

I've opened more than my share of Chinese spam cans with the "key" that didn't work all that well. I've used "field expedient" means that were ... unorthodox.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#20]
If this is difficult to figure out, no wonder the gun lobby is in trouble .......
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I used a set of heavy duty pincers.  Worked great.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I got in.    

After people said to use the "regular" screwdriver and hammer method, I made my attempt.   I did try a normal can opener on it, but it won't work, as is shown in the "fail" picture.  

I had a pair of tin snips handy to cut it open, but the screw driver worked so well, I just kept at it until I had the whole outside rim cut, very neatly, and cleanly.   It took me about 5 mins to go all the way around.    No damage to the ammo, as I angled outward toward that spam wall with my cut.      

It was rather easy.   I doubt the "opener" could have done it much faster.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top