Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/28/2008 4:59:26 PM EDT
What's the real deal why ammo is climbing in price? 7.62x39 seems to have doubled in price over the last few years and 5.56 has more than doubled.

I use to be able to buy a 20rd box of FMJ Wolf 7.62x39 a few years ago for just over $2 a box....now the same place I use to buy from is selling the same ammo for $4.50 a box. Wolf ammo is suppose to be cheap! What the hell happened?
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]
dude where have you been living, under a rock current price is 199.95 shipped per 1K and it will soon be a thing of the pass, you better get on board and stock up
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 5/29/2008 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#3]
No, I haven't been under a rock....well maybe lately.

I just blasted through the last thousand rounds I bought a few years back. I think I paid $119 per thousand (Wolf) just a few years ago. Now its time to restock and I couldn't help but notice how much more it is now. Again....7.62x39 has historically been cheap! Why the increase? Are there some new taxes on ammo that I haven't heard about?
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy jeez, read a newspaper.  

There are several factors at play:
1) Increased demand for ammo by civilians and the military.  Plenty of our Afghani and Iraqi allies are still using 7.62x39.  The U.S. mil is obviously using lots of 5.56.  On the civilian side, black rifles are becoming more and more popular.  There are also reports of ammo hoarding out of fear of the November elections.

2) Increased demand for lead and copper, primarily by China and India.  Their middle class is growing and they require lots of lead and copper for wiring, plumbing, electronics, etc.  China also has a tendency to supply countries of dubious character with guns and ammo.

3) Increased cost of fuel.  From the big rusty boat that ships ammo from Russia to the big brown truck that drops it off at your door, fuel costs have hit everyone.  Oil hit $135 a barrel last week and diesel is well over $4 in my neck of the woods.

4) A weak dollar.  The dollar's value hasn't been doing so well in the past few years and that means it takes more dollars to buy foreign goods.  Most 7.62x39 ammo is foreign.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I always buy 2 cases for each case I shoot. The stockpile grows, and I avoid the shock that comes from being out of the market for an extended period of time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I always buy 2 cases for each case I shoot. The stockpile grows, and I avoid the shock that comes from being out of the market for an extended period of time.

Thats a good idea! I just bought 2000 rounds tonight....might end up buying more next week. Its just sad that our "cheap" ammo isn't so cheap anymore.

Best wishes to everyone!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
this country is going down hill, where can I go that will let me have all the guns I want along with plentiful ammo for them?  maybe I'll go back to Iraq.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:13:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Still a few people who don't know about the ammo price increases.  This worked for me a few months back.  I placed an ad in the American Classifeds:  Wanted to buy. 7.62x39mm ammo.  Will pay up to 10 cents per round CASH.  Most people who will call bought the ammo when it was going for $75 a case.  So they thing they are making money.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top