Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 2:19:09 PM EDT
Was shooting My slr 105 today and was having a good day untill I put in a mag loaded with the 70gr wolf military classic rounds.  I usually adjust my point of aim up an inch(my kobra is zeroed for the lighter rounds) and everything is fine, but today wasn't hitting much at all.  Also noticed that there seemed to be multiple impacts on the berm behind my target. At first I thought the guy next to me was shooting at my frame, but once I ruled that out started to wonder if the jacket was seperating in flight? Upon checking my target there were some odd shaped holes(sorry didn't have a camera with me.  Once I swithched back to the wolf black box everything was back to normal.  Anyone have anything like this happen to them?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have noticed the same thing with my 74.  Not sure whether it is separation, and I shoot outdoors so finding intact bullets is a PITA.  I have simply stopped buying the stuff.  Why do they even make bullets that heavy?  The fps is lower and you have to adjust the sights all the time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Was the black box 70 grain or 59 grain?  If it was 59 grain and your gun shoots it well my first guess is that your gun's twist rate can't stabilize the heavier 70 grain round, making the bullets keyhole.  This would cause poor groups and odd shaped holes on paper.  If both kinds are 70 grain and it shoots one well but not the other, then I have no clue.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
the black box was 60grn HP. I also thought maybe the twist rate of the slr 105's barrel was not able to sabilize the heavier round, but the thing I don't get is some of the rounds seemed to function properly. Oh well since surplus is so cheap will probably stick with that for the foreseeable future.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My Arsenal shoots the 70 grain OK, but definitely has a different point of impact. No keyholes or anything like that, and functions fine. Bought a 1000 rounds when there was nothing else to be had. Prefer the 60 grain or 59 grain loads though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard before that at some point Arsenal changed the twist rate on their 74s to a tighter twist.  Not sure when this occurred, but I'm sure there are both types floating around, in between all their demilled kits brought in and their SLR 105s.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:15:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My Arsenal shoots the 70 grain OK, but definitely has a different point of impact. No keyholes or anything like that, and functions fine. Bought a 1000 rounds when there was nothing else to be had. Prefer the 60 grain or 59 grain loads though.

My experience with the Wolf MC 70 gr. is the same as Daffy's, except through a SAR-2 & Vector Arms RPK-74.  When the BB disappeared this was the only stuff around for a while in N/C.  OK for plinking but that's about it.  

I too wonder why they loaded it up to 70 grains.  Doesn't make sense to me, but then I don't understand alot of things the Russkis do ........

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top