Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:51:29 AM EDT
Can you tell if ammo is corrosive or non-corrosive by looking at the round or the headstamp?  The headstamp is top=61, bottom=89.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#1]
What does the ammo look like?  Chocolate case?  Copper washed case?  Primer seal color (I'm sure someone will ask)

61 is most likely the factory code (Chinese) and 89 the year of production.  I think by 89 there was a lot of consumer ammo coming over, so you probably stand a good chance of it being non-corrosive.  I've never seen the Chocolate stuff marked as anything but non-corrosive, and the copper wash comes both ways.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
You cannot tell by the headstamp or markings generally if the ammo is corrosive or not. Your headstamp "61 89" is known only with a copper washed steel case in ball and dummy configurations. To my knowledge, this headstamp predates the importation of non-corrosive, lead core ball FROM THIS FACTORY. The commonly found NC/LC ammunition for commercial sales from this factory are dated 1992-1993. The problem with the Chinese ammunition is that there are so many variations of load/primer type/headstamp/etc... that there are few exact points of ID for it. Your best bet is to pull a projectile and see if it is steel core or lead core. Steel core with this date is likely military surplus and corrosive. If it is lead core, then your chances are better for non-corrosive, but you should still test anyways to be 100 percent sure. Or, you could just shoot the ammo, clean afterwards and be done with it. I personally don't care if the ammo I shoot in my AK is corrosive or non since I clean the same way in either case...

D.D.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top