Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/17/2006 4:06:06 PM EDT
i have never owned or cleaned an AK.  After a few hundred rounds, how dirty is the bolt area/internals of an AK compared to an AR?  is it all coated with black powder residue like an AR is after a few hundred rounds, or is it relatively clean, with most of the nasty black stuff trapped in the piston?
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
it is about 5% as dirty as an ar.  I have an ak I have not cleaned or lubed for over 500 rounds and 6-7 months, and it still runs fine.(and isn't as dirty in the reciver as an ar after 100 rounds)
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:52:08 AM EDT
[#4]
The main thing with the AK is MOST of the filth will adhere to the piston.  So once you pull the carrier/piston and wipe it off 50% of the cleaning is done.  As mentioned the primer sealant can be annoying but if you have an air compressor handy that isn't even so bad as 99% of the primer flakes will blow out.

Without the star lug of the AR and the two part carrier/bolt mechanism that has gas vented directly to it, the AK is very easy to clean.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The biggest cleanup headache is the red russian primer sealant that seems to flake and migrate into every nook in the reciever and bolt group.  Doesn't hurt anything, just a pain in the ass to get out.

Use the garden hose, really.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I try to clean my Vepr after I clean all my bolt action rifles, and all my handguns.
The dirty patches that come out of my bolt action barrels seem CLEAN VS after I clean my Vepr with them. It also takes me about 20 patches to fully clean Vepr's barrel, and thats only after about 100rds (I clean it after every range session).
Everything else is just dusty, so wipe with old Tshirt does it.
Goodluck
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top