Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/17/2006 2:07:13 PM EDT
This is my first assualt rifle.  I start out by saying that because I have never had something i have had to "get into shape".  I bought a B-West AKS (import reciever) the other day, knowing going in that it had some rust around the front sight and bayonet.  Last night I used some gun oil and fine steel wool and cotton rag and cleaned up most of the easy to get off stuff, but there remained some more less noticeable deposits around where the gas tube goes into the handguard, and in some of the harder to get to spots by the bayonet.  I guess my question is, what should i do now?  I have some rust remover from work that removes rust from surgical instruments, and autoclaves, but it needs to be rinsed off.  It has very nice wood furniture, but will I wreck the handguards by getting them wet?  
I imagine I will have other questions as I have now become a user and no longer a lurker..

thanks

jim
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hard to reach spots 'may' be reached by the auto parts store rust converter primers if they wick properly.

Wood can be easily removed, throw lever at the right front of the lower, and placing the upper end in a vise, wrapping the wood with a rag (hand saver) and twisting gets it off.

Welcome to Evil Rifle Disease

Great to hear.  Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to the growing effects of the disease.

jim
ETA: Is it ironic that my 223 post is about my 7.62 rifle?
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top