Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/14/2005 5:40:00 PM EDT
I'm getting my first AK-47 on Friday (2002 SAR-1) and I was wanting to get a good list of things I need to clean and maintain my AK.
I have only had experience with Break Free CLP (cleaning my M-16 on base) but I really don't know any other Cleaners/Lubricants out there. Or what size brushes and patches to get??

Any help would be great...

-Soldier48 the
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#1]
What you use to clean your rifle is a matter of opinion.  Some use auto break cleaner while others use solvents.  You can find a basic Hoppe's cleaning kit at WalMart.  You want to get brushes in .30 Caliber or just use the kit that came with the rifle.

Personally, I use Hoppe's Elite Bore Gel on the barrel.  I put some on a patch, run it through and let it soak for a while.  I like it because it disolves all of the junk in the barrel and cleans it out very easy. While the bore is soaking I hit the reviever with a little Shooter's Choice solvent on a nylon bristle toothbrush.  After the bore has soaked for a while I'll run a Bore Snake through it a few times and it's all clean.  If the bore is really dirty I'll scrub it out with a bore brush before I use the Bore Snake.

I like to use Simple Green on the exterior.  You can find it at the grocery store next to Lysol and Mr. Clean.  Some people have used Simple Green to clean their entire rifle.  It's non toxic and eats up all kinds of gunk.

Lube is another matter of opinion.  Some use Hoppe's, some use Rem Oil and some use Mobil One.  I like Shooter's Choice FP-10.  It's whatever works for you.

That always does the trick.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Mr Dave
  Thanks for the Help! I'll hit up Wal-Mart tomorrow.

Anyone else got any more info?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#3]
 Ed's Red for cleaning: 1 part Automatic Transmission fluid, 1 part Mineral Spirits, 1 part oderless kerosine.   Won't attack stock finish if you're messy like I am.
 Or you could just do what the Russian manual says: clean with a rag dipped in oil.  They mean gun oil, I use Mobil 1.  The Ed's Red seems to be the quicker for cleaning.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks msh
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Does Ed's pull up copper fouling too, or just the usual suspects?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#6]
 It doesn't give you the blue green on the bore patches like a copper fouling cleaner.   But I remember reading that ammonia based cleaners are not the best choice for regular use on chrome plated bores.  Anyone have some info on this?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:31:32 AM EDT
[#7]
" Ed's Red for cleaning: 1 part Automatic Transmission fluid, 1 part Mineral Spirits, 1 part oderless kerosine. Won't attack stock finish if you're messy like I am.
Or you could just do what the Russian manual says: clean with a rag dipped in oil. They mean gun oil, I use Mobil 1. The Ed's Red seems to be the quicker for cleaning."

Correction: Ed's red formula, 1part ATF fluid, 1 part LOW ODOR mineral spirits, 1 part Acetone, 1 part oderless Kerosene.

You need the acetone, don't leave it out.  store in a metal container, not plastic.

Good luck.

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top