Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/26/2005 12:25:43 AM EDT
I have a couple aks and wondered what you guys clean your gas tube with because I have a hard time cleaning it and would appreciate a hint and how do you clean in the receiver thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 1:53:14 AM EDT
[#1]
12ga bore brush and swab works for me
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 2:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
why bother?

seriously, why bother? unless it's a show rifle or something, you'll never get it dirty enough to matter.

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
 For down inside the receiver, bolt lug recesses etc., rags on sticks like the manual says.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Drain-o

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#7]
A 12ga brush is too large and will have to be forced quite hard to pass through the tube.  A 20ga brush is a better fit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I use 20ga brass brush but 12ga mop.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The same method I use to clean my ears - just chuck a Q-Tip into a Dremel tool and ream that sucker out...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
why bother?

seriously, why bother? unless it's a show rifle or something, you'll never get it dirty enough to matter.

Essential if you are shooting corrosive ammo. I don't anymore, but had a bunch of ammo that turned out to be corrosive, despite the box label saying non-corrosive.

Now I just clean it occasionally. No need to be anal about cleaning the gas tube.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
In a combat situation your gas tube cleaning probably consists or running a solvent soaked patch down then followed by a dry patch (if that).  However most readers of this post are probably not in a combat type situation, also most readers do not have access to an armorer to replace rusted or broken parts due to neglect.  These things are replaced by the owners themselves (ie read OOPE, Out Of Pocket Expense).

So you may wish to ask yourself, why not clean that gas tube while you are cleaning the rifle?

Just because our rifles (AK) are some of the most robust reliable weapons on this Earth does not excuse us from BASIC maintenance.

A simple swab (12 ga shotgun) or even an oversized cut patch works great, I like to use Ed's red then follow with a dry patch.  (try to keep the tube as dry as possible).

Every time I read a post about, "Oh it is an AK you can bury it in poop for a year and it will come up firing" just makes me ill.

These rifles deserve to be respected, AK's are like a fine and lovely woman, treat them well and you will have a life full of pleasure, go contrary to instructions and thier will be the devil to pay"!

Borrowed from Brownell's Acraglas instructions.

Anyway, bottom line clean that tube because I may be the guy buying your AK at the next fun show!

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, now that I am off my soapbox with regards to gas tube cleaning, Let's move to cleaning the receiver.

In the field I use a solvent soaked patch pushed thru the cleaning rod tip loop.

At home I get a little crazy.

Harb*r freight sells a aluminum can that accepts a wide variety of liquids (you can add Hoppes #9, or any solvent, you can put kerosene (use low oder available from L*WES or Home Cheapo) or Ed's red.

Add the solvent to the can, pressurize to in accordance to instructions.  (If you do not have a air compressor you can use the one at the gas station or quickie mart).

Use the can to flush the crud and firing residue from the receiver.

Works much like GunScrubber only way cheaper.

If you do not have a compressor you can purchase a air holding tank at Harb*r Freight or Auto*one or the like for about $15.00.  charge the tank at a gas station and you can use this to refil your Harbor Freight Aersol can or attach a blow gun nozzle and blow the residue out of the receiver.  Be quick though the tank does not hold much.  (approx 5-8 3 second bursts).

You can also recharge the holding tank with a 12 volt air compressor, the kind you can get from just about any discount house, WalM*rt, Auto*one, etc.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
why bother?

I like to baby all my guns espeaclly my VEPR K in 7.62x39mm. I think its gun abuse to not keep every gun mint unless you are in combat. Even then I was trained to baby my weapon as it is my lifeline. You can never take too good of care of a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Major freakin +1.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#15]
a pipe cleaner fits very well down the gas tube... into the barrel that is...
i use a rag soaked in hopes 0 to clean the wider portion.
i too am anal about my guns being kept clean.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#16]
For cleaning the gas tubes on AKs and SKSes I've used extra large patches made from T-shirts or paper shop towels.  I've also just rolled up a shop towel and worked it back and forth.

I like to leave a light coat of oil inside the gas tubes of my AK and SKSes, unlike a lot of people.  Even though I shoot noncorrosive ammo, I have seen rust form inside the gas tube during storage if it isn't cleaned and lightly oiled.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Oven cleaner cleans everything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top