Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/18/2005 2:12:54 PM EDT
Got my new yugo SKS today.  I took it apart and put the mag, trigger group and cleaning kit in a pot of boiling water for 45 minutes and got them pretty clean.  Other than gas and boiling water what works best for removing cosmoline from the rest of the rifle and the stock.   I've heard numb nutted type people suggest everything from baking it to dry it all out then chip it off to ammonia.  So what does work.  I have an extremely hot water jet at work available to me.  Is that my best bet?  This rifle is COVERED in the stuff.  Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I broke it down as far as I could and ran all the metal through the pizza oven at work.  I turned it down to about 250 and ran everything through but the stock.  Worked like a charm.  The only things I had a problems with were the bayonet slide and the firing pin.  Little working them back and forth and it pushed a lot of it out.  Got it together and carved out the stock a bit to take a 30 rounder.  I want to have the stock refinished cause it is ROUGH.  It is a surplus rifle and has been issued but the finish is %100 except the stock mag.  I'd like to get them returned to mint and I will be keeping all the original parts close.  Any advice on getting the stock refinished?  I can't wait to get out tommorrow and shoot it.  If it shoots as good as it looks now it will be a real pleasure.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
save the gas for your car . Use mineral spirits (cheep paint thinner from and paint store or wall mart ) on the metal parts . An old tooth brush or parts brush helps a lot .
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
save the gas for your car . Use mineral spirits (cheep paint thinner from and paint store or wall mart ) on the metal parts . An old tooth brush or parts brush helps a lot .

Free gas (sorda)in small amounts.  I work at a gas station.  People leaving a penny here and a dime there(and the occaisonal ten bucks from drunks) adds up to a lot of money after 8 hours.  We can't keep what we're over but If I buy a gallon of gas or two I can cash it out to money left to me during the shift.  Turns out I didn't use a drop though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Brake cleaner works good for those hard to reach areas
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got every drop I can see,  I'm putting about 300 rounds through it tommorrow.  How much more am I gonna find then?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Carberator cleaner. Worked for me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Trust me on this. Take it to the carwash. Blast it clean you'll be done in 5 min.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
After melting a nylon sling off of it today I got a lot more out.  I gotta start a new thread about it.  Check back soon...
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#12]
If no one mentioned this already what we did on a hot day is leave it outside in a bucket and let it all drip into the bottom wipe it off with a cloth and gus that cleaning solvent that takes it off called powder blast but watch you stock it could take the finish off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#13]
WD40 worked good in my Yugo SKS for getting the cosmo out of the cracks.  I also removed the stock and put the metal outside in the hot sun and the comso melted and ran out.
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top