Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2003 10:40:15 AM EDT
You're supposed to clean these things?
I'm going to see how long I can shoot it before it jams because it's too dirty to fire!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#1]
 How many rounds so far?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
You doing 7.62x39?
I have been considering that for my SAR2 now thta I have a Bulgy kit build. My biggest concern is actually how to keep score. Put tape on the stock and mark off every 30rnd mag?

I have read reports of pity cleanings when the owner no longer has the heart to keep using it when it gets filthy after several cases. Might have to put the rumor to the test.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Use corrosive ammo.  It'll go faster.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Cleaning has two functions.

1) Reliability

2) Longeity

Properly lubricated mechanical mechanisms last longer.

So, if you want it to last a lifetime, you should perodiaclly clean it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The lack of posts in this section alone makes me want a SAR1.. They are also really cool/fun guns to shoot..
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 7:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I actually took my AK to a shoot in the forests of WA one weekend, where it was dropped in the mud, rained on etc.

Rifle had plastic DDR/EG furniture.

Took it to the car wash with me and used the soapy pressure washed to clean it out. Worked well enough.

Thorough lubrication at home followed, incl. gas port, etc.  It can be done!
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The lack of posts in this section alone makes me want a SAR1.. They are also really cool/fun guns to shoot..

No easier Mod job in arfcom :)
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Slip 2000 carbon cutter disolves carbon on contact. It works GREAT! No nasty smells and sure as hell not hard on the hands.

www.slip2000.com

http://slip2000.com/carboncutter.html#
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top