Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 5:14:33 PM EDT
I've been reading another thread about some "variants".I'm a fan of the 6.5 grendel and 6.8spc then somebody brings out the 7x46 mm !  Then they bring out the the 7 mm BR for purposes of comparison.There were some very good points made and while reading all this I pondered at the idea of  308 SAIGA  rebarrelled in 7mm br.Could we shorten the receiver a comperable length that we shorten the cartridge? Could we use cut down m14 mags?I would like to make a smaller version of my Romak III, like 7/9th scale with a 18-19in bbl and weighing in about 7.5 lbs instead of 9.5lbs.Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Other then "damn, that's cool!", why would you want to do this?  JMHO, tack driving cartridges are kind of wasted in an AK style platform.  I'm not telling you you shouldn't do it, just wondering what benefit you hope to gain over the 308 version.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Mostly the cool factor, totally impractical.The thing is with the saiga receiver your a little closer to a rpk receiver and I can't help but think that the cartridge would bring some of the tack driverness with it.The thing that got me thinking about it was the thread comparing it to the new assault rifle rounds like the 6.5 grendel,6.8spc,7x46.We should have picked this thing up in the 50's.Especially if you look at it as the natural procession from the 8mm kurz or the 280 British.
Then with the saiga you have an inexpensive donor with the right size bolt face, rpk-ish receiver.I'd like to see some one go beyond the DIY and get artistic and creative.Kinda like some guys do with knives.
You certainly would run into trouble doing it in an ar(bolt).A saiga 308 bolt could certainly handle 55,000 psi.If it could cut a 2" group at 100yds I would be able to find satisfaction.Whats the real world accuracy with a saiga 308 anyway?3-4 moa?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top