Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/23/2007 11:34:23 AM EDT
Shoud I gunkote the rec. before I rivet the trunions in, so that the entire inside has a layer of rust protection?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think it's a bad idea to apply a little gunkote to the inside of the receiver before you rivet.  Especially to the areas that'll be covered up by the trunions or areas that'll be difficult to reach with an airbrush once it's assembled.  It's probably a little over kill but I do it that way. I also spray the outside of the trunions before I rivet them too.  I don't do the outside of the receiver until I'm finished riveting though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you use a zinc phosphate primer it will usually squeeze between most of the joints and give it a corrosion protection.  The paint will not, obvioulsy.

That's why i daub on zinc phospate, instead of spray. ideally, you'd do a full immersion into the zinc phos, but daub is the next best thing.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top