Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2007 6:52:05 PM EDT
Tried pounding with the pennies and ram.

also tried using a pully puller

no dice... the barrel will not move

any advice? this is getting very frustrating

its a yugo kit, my second build
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#1]
What happens with the puller?  does it pop off?  Or is it just too hard to turn?  Make sure the shaft has some grease on it.  

And I know this is stupid, but did you remember to remove the barrel pin???
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
yes, barrel pin is out. lol

i use a couple of nickels between the puller and the barrel and the puller gets so much pressure because the barrel refuses to move that it goes right through the nickels and now have holy nickels
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#3]
How about soaking in penetrating oil for a few days?  Might help!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Try this.  When I do mine, I use a STACK of pennies, TAPED together.  Like a mini-money roll.  Prob at least a dozen.  However many you can stack between the chamber face, and the locking lug on the trunion.  Like I said, its about a dozen.  They are REALLY deformed, but even my really sharp point on my puller cant penetrate all of them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How about soaking in penetrating oil for a few days?  Might help!

If that doesn't work heat the barrel, they sy it will draw the oil in. Had trouble with a AMD did this and left it overnight and the next day it did come out after a couple of tries.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Soaking with oil is always a good idea.

I had bad luck with the gear puller, so I hung the trunnion from the vise jaws and hit the barrel with a brass punch and a 2-lb hammer.  Came out in just a few whacks.  No damage at all to the barrel or trunnion.

Brass punches are cheap at auto parts stores.  They're used for installing wheel bearing races.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Exactly what I do except I dont use a brass punch.

I just throw some pennies/nickels in and use a chunk of rebar.....

And even if the front of the trunnion gets some marks, the new receiver and hand guard covers em up.

Quoted:
Soaking with oil is always a good idea.

I had bad luck with the gear puller, so I hung the trunnion from the vise jaws and hit the barrel with a brass punch and a 2-lb hammer.  Came out in just a few whacks.  No damage at all to the barrel or trunnion.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Find someone with a press or buy one, it'll come right out and it makes the rest of the build alot easier too. The polish UF kits I've demilled came out real easy, they had some grease on the barrel but the Yugo I did came out really hard, I don't think it would have come out without a press, it had no grease on it at all.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Lube, tape 5 NICKLES (they fit perfect) and place on chamber end of bbl, smack with biggest punch you got, should come out realy easy.....something may be up if it isn't going.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
My friend gave me a can of penetrating oil called YIELD by CHEMSEARCH. The stuff is UNREAL, and also $20.00 a can. Heating with a torch and my 12 ton press, nothing, I called it junk. He shows up, soaks the parts, 1 hour later he knocks everything apart with a 8oz. ballpeen hammer. Also eats through red loctite like nothing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a press and barrel jig. If you want, you can send it to me and i'll pull it for free.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top