Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2006 6:20:21 PM EDT
I am going to be doing a few builds (for the first time) and was curious as to whether or not it is better to weld or rivet the pistol grip reinforcement plate on a Polish Underfolder? Also, where can they be purchased?

Anyone have a good source for rivets?
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#1]
AK-builder.com
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
you weld them on but on an uf your adding it basicly just for looks
it isnt needed for strength
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Do they serve any purpose? Were they on Polish underolders when built in Poland originally? Why is DCI no longer making receivers without the reinforcement plate?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
yes they do serve a purpose if you over tighten the pistol grip screw slightly without a plate the top rails have a habit of coming together causing the bolt carrier to stick.
with the plate you can tighten the pistol grip normally and not bend your receiver.

Dont ask how I learned this I am still undergoing therapy for that one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well NV ya musta cranked it down untill it smoked then backed it off half a turn
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
if your rec it treated correct there shouldnt be any way to pull the rails in with the pg screw

i dont know if they are orig on the pol uf's or not i do know they are orig on sidefolders
cause you remove alot of the rec to make room for the rear trunnion and it stops the rec from flexing

but an uf there is no need the uf makes the rec stronger not weaker
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:43:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sorry, I disagree.
If the rifle is being fired with the stock folded, all the recoil is being absorbed by the PG. That's quite a bit of loading on one little T-nut and 1mm of material.

I doubt Mikhail added anything to the AK "just for looks"
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
OOW receiver dose that explain it ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:22:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Screw it, I'm going to weld one on. I agree with socandyman, it probably isn't necessary, but it will take me less than 5 minutes to weld one on.

I don't see how overtightening a pistol grip can cause the receiver rails to bend, I would imagine the PG would have to be ridiculously overtightened for that to happen.

Thanks for input guys.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Do not get one from ORF. Mine was too short, and I have seen others that have stated the same thing. They may or may not have corrected this, but I would go to another vendor...AK-builder or Tantle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I disagree.
If the rifle is being fired with the stock folded, all the recoil is being absorbed by the PG. That's quite a bit of loading on one little T-nut and 1mm of material.

I doubt Mikhail added anything to the AK "just for looks"

There are more than a few AK pistols out there. Any one with a pistol have trouble due to the lack of a reinforcing plate?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top