Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2006 7:33:20 PM EDT
So, I think I'm gonna buy a few flats in anticipation of future products, but I see that you can get them with or without trunion holes... Would it be safe just to get all of them WITH trunion holes or is there too likely a chance that they wont fit any parts kits I later buy?
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#1]
It is very likely that you will have to elongate the holes if you buy predrilled flats. Some people don't like to do that, so the undrilled flats are available.
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The alternative (if you are or have access to a good welder) is to remove the rivets then weld the holes and grind the surface of the trunnions level.  Use the holes on a pre-drilled flat as templates for the new rivet holes you drill into the trunnions.  It takes a but more time but guarantees the best match-up between receiver and trunnion and no "egged" holes.

HTH
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#4]
No holes.  Different trunions have them in different spots.  What if you get a sweet deal on a chineese barrel assembly in the future ? Then your holes are all wrong.
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My vote goes for no holes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
No holes wins the day. Thanks for your input guys.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the no hole plan also include 100% receivers, should they also be purchased without holes?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#8]
for the most part yes no holes is the way to go on the 100% also
dci makes some that are rifle specific and are close still need alittle fitting but they do take less work
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]
No holes is still the way to go. It's a little more work but when you are finished you have a better product. IMHO
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top