Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 6:08:42 PM EDT
never used a DCI reciever and I was thinking about getting one fully drillled and everything to make it super easy to assemble a kit really quick. just wanted to see what the recievers had to offer.

was wondering if there were any downsides to DCI recievers or if any fit is required with the pre-drilled recievers?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
DCI receivers are the pinnacle of quality.  IF, and that's a big if, there is any fitting needed it will be very very minimal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Well for your first build buy the econo receiver for a Romy kit. Then get a Polish underfolder kit.  then a yugo kit in 7.62x39 then a yugo kit in 223. If the bug hasn't bitten you by then? Well you will have fun no matter what. There are no down sides to DCI receivers that I have found. Top Notch.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Can someone post a link? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well for your first build buy the econo receiver for a Romy kit. Then get a Polish underfolder kit.  then a yugo kit in 7.62x39 then a yugo kit in 223. If the bug hasn't bitten you by then? Well you will have fun no matter what. There are no down sides to DCI receivers that I have found. Top Notch.

its not my first build, but i wanted to do one that I wouldn't have quite so much trouble with. last time I used a Global trades reciever and getting all the holes right was a pain in the butt with the limited stuff i've got.

few other questions
1) any place to get an ak 74 barrel assembly/front trunc but not the rest of the kit, i've got enough spare parts i can put in a rear tang. Hopefully one that would fit the standard hole pattern of a romy build- dont know much about ak74s so this might / might not be possible for what i'm loooking for in this build.

I keep getting a hard time from my buds since i've got nothing but a lot of 7.62, and I figure Its time to expand my collection a bit anyway. plus, I thought It might be fun to expand and actually have a different caliber and open up my options for bakelite mags without spending a pretty penny on the russian 7.62 ones.

i've seen this for 7.62x39, but not for any other calibers. wondering if anyone knew anything.

2) how much trouble is it to duracoat these DCI recievers, I've never done any work with duracoat and painting guns- its one of the reasons i went with the pre-finished GT 1mm reciever last time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]

last time I used a Global trades reciever and getting all the holes right was a pain in the butt with the limited stuff i've got.

It shouldn't have been.  You can make yourself some hole locators for next to nothing.

Rear Rivet Locator

Front Rivet Locator
I made a pair of these using tweezers.

There are some disadvantages to the DCI economy.... lack of stepped rails, trigger cut outs not designed for Tapco G2 FCG which causes some people problems, with predrilled holes, you can't adjust the front trunion for mag fitting and you can't adjust the rear tang for fitting the dust cover...  not all dust covers are the same exact length and if you have one that is slightly shorter than normal you may have some fitting issues to contend with.  I use the NDS-1 receivers myself... stepped rails, more accurate dimple and no predrilled holes.  Just my $02.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

last time I used a Global trades reciever and getting all the holes right was a pain in the butt with the limited stuff i've got.

It shouldn't have been.  You can make yourself some hole locators for next to nothing.

Rear Rivet Locator

Front Rivet Locator
I made a pair of these using tweezers.

There are some disadvantages to the DCI economy.... lack of stepped rails, trigger cut outs not designed for Tapco G2 FCG which causes some people problems, with predrilled holes, you can't adjust the front trunion for mag fitting and you can't adjust the rear tang for fitting the dust cover...  not all dust covers are the same exact length and if you have one that is slightly shorter than normal you may have some fitting issues to contend with.  I use the NDS-1 receivers myself... stepped rails, more accurate dimple and no predrilled holes.  Just my $02.

thanks for the links and the advice, i ended up using the tape trick to get the holes lined up previously and that led to a lot of hassle. that and when i drilled the holes in the rear of the reciever for the tang, during the first hole i forgot to put a peice of support at the very end of the reciever to ensure a straight drill. left me with a bit of a lopsided hole. hadn't seen those hole locators before. looks like some good stuff there.

thats the sort of feedback and reservations i wanted to hear about with DCI:

when you talk about the trigger hole not being made for the G2, are you talking about the double hook, the single hook, or both? i've got two extra single hooks and I wasn't aware there were any real differences in the dimensions of that and other FCGs.

also- is mag fit a big problem with these recievers? I mean, it just seems that if the mags are having trouble fitting in there with pre-drilled holes that the reciever is pretty much more or less just defective. I understand that the pre-drilled holes means no opportunity for fit adjustment... but I'm just wondering how often thats a problem. Do you happen to know?

finially- what do you mean by stepped down rails and what effect does that have?

thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]
No, I wasn't refering to single versus double hook.  Apparently, the NDS-3 receiver was orginally made for use by Century with Century FCG.  The trigger hook grove is cut too long for G2 or any standard FCG except the Century and it results in over travel of the trigger.

More info here: www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9289

When drilling the rear tang holes, I leave the rear tang in place and drill through holes in them from one side of the receiver to the other.

Chance are you won't have any fitting issues with the NDS-3 but the possibility remains.  For the price, it's worth a try and if you don't like it you can pick up a NDS-1 next time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No, I wasn't refering to single versus double hook.  Apparently, the NDS-3 receiver was orginally made for use by Century with Century FCG.  The trigger hook grove is cut too long for G2 or any standard FCG except the Century and it results in over travel of the trigger.

More info here: www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9289

When drilling the rear tang holes, I leave the rear tang in place and drill through holes in them from one side of the receiver to the other.

Chance are you won't have any fitting issues with the NDS-3 but the possibility remains.  For the price, it's worth a try and if you don't like it you can pick up a NDS-1 next time.

hm. interesting. thanks for the link.

seems worth the gamble for the price and it seems like i could probably do a lot of different things to cope with it- possibly switching out FCGs in a century gun for a g2 and using their FCG.

thanks agian.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#10]
im looking into getting one of thier polish underfolder recivers with teh plate.  ive delt with Ohio ordinance works and armory usa receivers.  stepped rails is a new term to me after about 8 ak's.  what exactly are they?

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
im looking into getting one of thier polish underfolder recivers with teh plate.  ive delt with Ohio ordinance works and armory usa receivers.  stepped rails is a new term to me after about 8 ak's.  what exactly are they?

The Global Trades (aka Armory USA) 1.0mm receivers have the stepped rails.

Here's a pic of what they look like....

Apparently, they're only necessary to have on a full auto AKM but with them you'll notice that the bolt carrier doesn't wobble as much as an AKM with a OOW receiver, which doesn't have any stepped rails.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks a ton tapeo. that makes me really curious, and now i pretty much have to get one of those recievers just to see what happens with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
they are excellent receivers I use a dremel dimond bit to make the holes perfect they require much less work than OOW. I did a polish underfolder for my brother in a blistering 6 hours.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#14]
ahh i see it now.  tehre is a little step on teh top of teh armory receiver i have.  i didnt know much about ak's when i got my OOW.  i wound up welding over teh selector hole and moving it up about 1/16" to get a good fit on teh topcover.  i would not use one again.....never!  

ETA:  i only had the gap on the 7.62.  my 5.45 build went fine.  
you are correct.  when i bought them they were the best game in town.  got them for $45 ea too.  there are alot better receivers on teh market now as has been stated.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
ahh i see it now.  tehre is a little step on teh top of teh armory receiver i have.  i didnt know much about ak's when i got my OOW.  i wound up welding over teh selector hole and moving it up about 1/16" to get a good fit on teh topcover.  i would not use one again.....never!  

The 5.45x39 OOW receivers never had the problem with the selector gap.  Wasn't too long ago... just over a year ago that OOW were the best receivers out there.  Compared to what came before them they were good but compared to what's available out there now, they aren't.  They're fine receivers just not great.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top