Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/20/2006 2:13:55 PM EDT
I am making a bolt cutter tool for the front rivets. I have a jig for the back ones. I saw pics on Gun Guts and God but I need a template or a guide or something to measure how much to grind on each part of the bolt cutter. I cant risk a tool eveytime I over grind.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not that precise an operation. I just eyeballed it and it worked fine. Take whatever you are going to use to hold the rivet head (outside the receiver) and put in over the receiver with a rivet in place. Then get the blades out and you will be able to see how much material you need to remove so that they will fit inside properly. Mine worked fine first try, and I'm not an experienced metalworker.

Just be VERY CAREFUL not to damage the heat treatment. The steel should not change color at all while you are working. If it does, it's too hot. Get a bucket of water handy and dip the parts in FREQUENTLY.

The real danger is you'll weaken the jaws and they'll snap the first time you try to use them...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Do I file down both of the jaws so there are no more sharp edges on both sides or do I leave one jaw untouched?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Note on http://www.gunsgutsandgod.com/Newrivettool.htm that the top jaw edge is flattened about half way, enough to hold the outside backing plate (with hollow for rivet head) in a stable position, and the bottom tip a bit more, enough to squash the rivet inner end.

I suggest you make a copy of the picture of the tool head, blow it up to full size and print it out.  Use it as a template for the initial jaw grinding, then grind back the bottom jaw, mostly toward the handles, until the tool jaws go over the rivet holes on the trunion easily.  

I used the template from this picture in grinding a Harbor Freight  24 in. tool and I believe it was easier to make a tool from than the bolt cutter used on Gunsgutsgod.  It keeps a lot more metal in the jaw than Pookies tool, and the only drawback is having to position the backing plate on the rivet head before squeezing.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I got these from another thread.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top