Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/18/2006 10:04:54 AM EDT
Concerning 80% builds, which branch office to i write to?

Is there a specific address you write to that gets a timely response?
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

What is your specific question ?  Chances are good it may have been answered before.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Everytime i sit down and start a letter to them I cant seem to manage to keep the first sentence limited to just 3 cuss words!
So I figure its just best to not let them know I exist......

Mike
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Writing to the BATFE will result in their opening a file on you. Do you think that is a good idea?
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Writing to the BATFE will result in their opening a file on you. Do you think that is a good idea?

"Opening a file on you?"  

ATF:"this bastard had the audacity to seek clarification on our convoluted rules...let's 'open a file on him'"

If you have a question that can't be answered from reading the applicable laws/guidelines, then it is wise to ask.  I would never take what I read on ARFCOM or any site for that matter as gospel when it comes to gun laws.  But hey, if you're in violation because you didn't ask, and you get caught at least they won't have a file on you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd just like to ask the 80% build question and have " To Mr. Triumph955i concerning your question"

Just in case i am ever questioned about it at the range or elsewhere.

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

About a month ago I called BATF Detroit Field Office (branch office for Southeastern Michigan), and asked about a legality of buying AK parts kits.
The answer I got ... "Why do you conspire to build machine guns?"
After explaining what my intentions were the ATF agent gave me the following address:

BATF
Firearm Technology Branch
244 Needy Rd.
Martinsburg, W.V. 25401

Also told me to refer to them as BATF, not BATFE.
They do not have a phone line anymore. You must request information in writing.
Response time is longer than two months. Very timely, you know, government at work.

Now I wish I hadn't called these loonies, maybe I'm on their shit list as a conspirator.
No, no, I have not written to them and have no intention of doing so.

Link Posted: 8/18/2006 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]
All of "their" rules are on their website. All you have to do is correctly interpret them.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Now I know I'm going to get flamed on this but...  I've spoken to the ATF several times now, my first was the ppsh interordnance fiasco when they went to my Sheriff to ask about me before coming to my house to have me "voluntarily" give up the trunion (which by the way was not what they took because the firearms "expert" he called insisted the trunion was the barrel shroud)  The agent was actually rather apologetic.  The second was a letter to clarify a build issue, I received a prompt (1mo) and knowledgeable response.  The third was a similar question and a 2mo response from someone who OBVIOUSLY doesn't know which end of the barrel to stand infront of...
So it seems to be very hit or miss on the service side of it.  Of course, I'm sure they now have a file that includes everything on me including whether I floss each morning.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I have never written them ( have recieved forms from the web site before) but why would you want to write them.  I don't think I've ever read a "yes you can do this" or "no you can't do that" response.  It's always a bullshit political answer refering you to their regulations.  So then even after writing to them, then never clarify it with a yes or no answer.  Big waste of time IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 12:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
This might help answer some of your questions

Receiver flats that have been bent in any way could constitute as a firearm and are non-returnable.  Please note that an individual can make their own firearm in the United States as long as they do not sell or distribute it.  This is addressed on the BATF web site www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm  Once the simple bending is done, you may have a defined firearm and all local, state and federal laws will apply.  Please verify your local and state laws before making the bends.

I stock a lot of 80% receivers & have never had a problem

www.MidwestArmory.com
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well I have never written them ( have recieved forms from the web site before) but why would you want to write them.  I don't think I've ever read a "yes you can do this" or "no you can't do that" response.  It's always a bullshit political answer refering you to their regulations.  So then even after writing to them, then never clarify it with a yes or no answer.  Big waste of time IMHO.

It blows my mind at how many people write to them when they have all the rules avail. by the internet... I would contact an attorney for the further questioning of law's myself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
In my particular case what I was doing needed a letter from the ATF and the first letter i received was pretty clear and reasonable.  If a lawyer interprets the law for you you're screwed if ATF disagrees but if the ATF is clear in thier statement (unlikely yes) then you have a solid legal footing.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It blows my mind at how many people write to them when they have all the rules avail. by the internet... I would contact an attorney for the further questioning of law's myself.

Are there any attorneys on here that would be willing to ask this question to the BATFE on behalf of this builders forum?

I am not a paranoid person. However, it makes no sense to possible invite trouble on yourself.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably better to not mention that the neighbor's dog is telling you do things, some which are bad things. Please don't ask how I know.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#16]
If you are worried about someone questioning you on the lack of serial number and manufacturer on your build I suggest you put your own on it.  It will make it possible to identify if it is ever stolen and also make it possible for you to sell it if you chose.

The BATF has a system/forms for assigning serial numbers but it's set up for manufacturers.  I'd just use my "handle", town, and whatever number I want.  Perfectly legal since all the regs refer to licensed manufacturers and if you're building for your own use you can stamp anything on the rifle you want.

I'd avoid ANY contact with BATF if possible.  My results have been one very favorable phone call to the technology Division when they had outside lines and one letter still unanswered after 3 tries.  They do not believe in hand holding and many of the local agents dont seem to know many of their own regulations.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:

you're fooling yourself if you dont think they have a file on you already- it may not be extensive but they know if you have ever registered a pistol, even if you get arrested but released and not convicted- you still get an FBI number
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I have written them a few times in the past and gotten informative responses.
IMHO, if things go south, they will just seize the records of the mail order companies, NRA, gun magazine subscriber lists, etc. and in no time at all you will be on any list you tried to avoid.
It's a losing proposition so relax and enjoy your hobby.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Having a letter from the BATF may not be a bad idea. I already know what their laws are, what is legal and what is not. It is local law enforcment that are usually not famliar with things like building your own receivers and all, but if you could show them a BATF letter then that might save you a lot of time and hassle of having your firearm confiscated.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#20]
"at least they won't have a file on you."
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you are worried about someone questioning you on the lack of serial number and manufacturer on your build I suggest you put your own on it.  It will make it possible to identify if it is ever stolen and also make it possible for you to sell it if you chose.Why would it make it possible to sell?  If it is your firearm and it is legal for you or anyone else to own why could you not sell it?

The BATF has a system/forms for assigning serial numbers but it's set up for manufacturers.That is because licensed manufactures (and lets not forget importers) are required to have these markings.    I'd just use my "handle", town, and whatever number I want.  Perfectly legal since all the regs refer to licensed manufacturers and if you're building for your own use you can stamp anything on the rifle you want.  Very true
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top