Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/19/2006 12:05:11 AM EDT
Hello,

I am interested in doing a 5.56 AK build, and was wondering what parts are neccesary besides a receiver, AK-102 barrel, and 5.56 bolt?  What trunnion/bolt carrier combo will reliably work with the Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags?  Thanks.

D-R
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#1]
your best bet is to buy a saiga 223
and build from that

the parts for a 223 can be hard to find
and cost an arm and 3 legs
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#2]
That is certainly true about the cost and the scarcity of parts.  The trunnion is the biggest stumbling block so far, as the AK-102 bbl is 23mm at the chamber end, and most of the 5.56 trunnions are 22mm.  I was considering using a 5.45 trunnion, which is 23mm, or just having a smith turn down the chamber end to 22mm so it would fit in a standard trunnion.  The bbl is virgin, with no pin or pin divot, so headspacing can be done from whatever trunnion.  The only other issue is the carrier/bolt.  I would like to use a Romy 7.62 carrier, because they are cheap and plentiful, but will it all work together?  Are there any smiths that could take all of the parts I have and "prep" them (turn barrel down if needed, press/drill barrel pin/headspace front end) for me to assemble?  I don't feel like giving up now.  Thanks.

D-R
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#3]
use a 47 trunion(23mm) just have to do alittle mods to make bulgy 223 waffle mags fit(all taking metal off not adding)
just get a bulgy 223 bolt as it is 47 style and use any 47 carrier..... have a krink built like this
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top