Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 11:15:34 AM EDT
Now that I have the "bug", I am interested in building an AK.

I see all kinds of people selling kits with prices ranging from dirt cheap to real expensive....

I am not looking to build anything wild, just a plain AK.

I found a pair of non matching # kits on akparts.com for $159.90
and a matching part kit with US FCG at copesdist.com for $134.99

Obviously the non-matching # kits with a separately purchased FCG is cheaper per unit, but am concerned about the bore and non-matching #s (if it matters at all).

For my first build, which would you recommend?  Or something completely different?

Thanks!
TC
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Centerfire systems still has matching Romanian kits for $99.97 plus shipping (less than $10).  The ones i got are perfect.  With FCG Copes is comperable.
With matching you really dont need a headspace check, so I'd spring for the matching.  If headspace is off the kit may not be useable.
100% NDS-3 receivers are available from Nodakspud for $55.  They fit the Romanians perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quality of these is generally HIGH - do not confuse them with SARs.  These are Military... less rough, make very good rifles.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the 135 kit from Copes with the G2 FCG. Best deal I could find. And it's fine. Plus Copes doesn't screw you on shipping like a lot of them do, I think I paid around eight bucks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
try TAPCO, theyve got romanian kits with the G2 fcg and a new retaining pin for $125 i believe.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
the kits are good ........the rommy WASR's are the ones that suck
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Last I checked Tapco was out of the $125 AK kits.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
So the Centerfire ones are that good?

I was thinking of getting one from Bocefus... I need one more kit so I can build a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
At the risk of telling everyone their babies are ugly, I'm going to differ a little bit here.  IMO the condition of the Romanians is very good, but the quality is at the bottom of the heap.  The sight assemblies/gas port block are commonly out of alignment, the barrel steel is soft, accuracy is not as good as the others and the front handgrip looks like a high school wood shop project.  I use them for cheap builds and experiments.  Dont get me wrong.  They are definitely worth the price.  I just wouldnt say they are high quality, regardless which vendor you get them from.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Yugos must have soft barrels too... man, those things can sure gall when you pull the barrels.  I gotta say, Romania was better at chroming their barrels than the Poles were.  I've yet to see a Rommy barrel with chrome flaking off unlike some of the Polish barrels I've seen.  I've said this before but I really wish there was a metalurgist on this board that could compare the quality of steel used in Rommys, Polish, Bulgarian, Russian, Yugo, Chinese, etc.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I would have to agree with that.  The worst galled barrel I have seen was a Yugo.  In general though, the Yugos seem to be of very high quality.  Overall, from what I have seen,  the quality award goes to the Hungarians.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top