Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/9/2006 3:22:30 PM EDT
I took my AK out for its second range session today.  The first time out it worked perfectly.  This time it doubled about four times out of 40 rounds.  I have worked the action a number of times while holding the trigger but it seems to work properly every time when empty.  I am using  a Tapco FCG and the original disconnector spring.  I stripped it down and can get the hammer to fall if I hold the trigger in just the right place, not back far enough for the disconnector to catch nor forward enough for the trigger hook to catch.

Any advice?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Tucker1:  Me too..  someone will be along and tell us what to do.    Mine is the same exact rifle, FCG and symptom..     waiting......     Les
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, G2 FCG with double hook.  I get an ocassional double myself.  Maybe once every 70 or 100 rounds.  I have no idea why.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had the same thing happen numerous times and with different guns.   It usually happens off the bench.  My opinion is that it is a form of bump fire.  The arm is held still by the bench and the shoulder pushes the gun back forward against the trigger finger causing the double.  

I wondered if the hammer was not being caught by the disconnector and was causing slam fire.  So I took the disconnector out and tried that way (at my private range).  No double.  Turned it into a single shot.  The second round had to be ejected before the gun could be fired again.  The primer strike on the second round was weak.  The hammer followed the carrier forward but the triangle bump on the back of the carrier prevented the hammer from getting a good strike.  I started a thread at the time and posted pictures of the primer here

Some have postulated that it could happen if there was some delay in the release of the hammer.  But if that were the case, why doesn't it ever triple?  Doubles are relatively common, but I have never heard of a triple (by accident).  That tells me that it is not mechanical.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are shooting off of rest then that is "bumping"  If you can do it while standing up then there is another problem.  I had an adjustable RSA go FA on me but I had screwed with the settings I put it back to where it was and off a bench it would double but off hand it was fine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the answers guys..  and to Tucker 1 for asking the question..   I have had my M14 double on the bench... scared the Hell out of me.. but never from position shooting..    Les
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!  I was shooting from the bench so hopefully that's the answer.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If concerned...

go to the FRONT of the disconnector.  Using FINE Dremmel sandpaper wheel, take the FRONT of the disconnector down a bit.  Refit TG, fire.  Repeat if you still have doubling - which, of course, never occurs.... we are only concerned with POTENTIAL doubling.  We have no rifles that double.  Our ATF friends can relax now.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top