Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/9/2006 12:12:04 PM EDT
My friend just got a Romy with horrible furniture.  He likes the black synthetic look but doesnt want to spend the money.  has anyone ever refinished wood furniture with some kind of matte finish?  What should we use?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try lightly sanding the wood with coarse sandpaper then paint it with black satin spray paint.

Let us know what works for you.  I have three Romy kits and the worst thing about them is the wood.  How could the metal look that good and the wood that bad?

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone know of a good spray paint that will work?  does it have to have heat tolerances? what about a sealer?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a black dye or stain? That might look kinda cooler than black paint and you won't have to worry about it flaking off.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks i think that might be the way to go
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#5]
If the wood looks as bad as mine, you're going to have to do some heavy duty sanding and maybe some fill.  Try a black walnut stain and leave it on a while before you wipe it off.  Let it soak in really good.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I painted some wood for my AK pistol with ceramic engine paint, and if I had done good prep work it would be great.  But I didn't completely degrease the wood around the edges so the paint isn't as well adhered in those spots.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
If you could explain the process of preparing the wood for engine paint id be really thankful.  I want a satin or matte finish so i dont know if id want to use stain
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you could explain the process of preparing the wood for engine paint id be really thankful.  I want a satin or matte finish so i dont know if id want to use stain

All I did was give the wood a quick wipedown with mineral spirits and then I let the wood sit in the sun to dry.  When it was dry I hit it with the ceramin engine paint.  If I had given a damn about how it turned out I would have done a more thorough scrubbing with mineral spirits and a brush to knock more of the crud off the wood, but I didn't.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Gasoline worked wonders getting the finish off some Yugo wood.  And all I wanted to do was remove the cosmo...

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]
degrease, sand rough, and paint with pray on "truck bed liner" It gives the wood a thick plastic coating, with a rough pebble texture, very tough, and matches synthetic furniture nicely. if rough sanded, it will adhear strongly to the wood. very hard to chip off too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#11]
+1!  Bedliner is what you want.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top