Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/7/2006 9:19:21 AM EDT
I just bought a 12 ton press from Cummins...tool sale.

When I try to press a barrell in, it bows the frome of the press..

H style press, and it bows about mid way from top to bottom.

Whats the deal?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you are pressing the barrel true and square to the trunnion . Even just a little bit off will cause all kinds of headache .
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If the press arms are bowing, you must be exceeding the limits of the press which just shouldn't happen when installing a barrel.

Also, bolt together type presses are as strong as the welded "H" frame type press, but still, the arms shouldn't bow.

The barrel and front trunnion should have some type of lubricant on it, like anti-seize and then the barrel should just press in.  Perhaps the problem is with the barrel/trunnion instead of the press.  Sometimes when pressing out the barrel a burr forms from the barrel pin hole.  I always smooth out this area on both the barrel and trunnion.

It will take less pressure to install the barrel than remove it.  So check everything again before trying or breaking something.  Hope this helps and keep us informed on how things go.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top