Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 8:40:31 PM EDT

Well, thanks to whoever suggested the gear puller. Today I pulled my barrel with no heating and no cooling in less than 30 seconds using a $20 geat puller from the autoparts store.  To put it back in I'll use 1/4" threaded rod.

I'm pretty sure that if I were to use the right metal plate with a hole drilled in it, I could even use the puller to push the barrel pin out.  

anyway, thanks. I am soooo close. Once I make/buy a rivet squisher I am in business.  Reveiver is folded, trigger guard in place, rails hardened, and almost ready to go.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
....  To put it back in I'll use 1/4" threaded rod....

Be sure to put use some anti seize paste (available at any auto supply store) when putting the barrel back in with the threaded rod method. I used this method, which worked fairly well. The barrel went in easily about half way, then once I had tightened the nuts, and it didnt want to move more, I used a rubber mallet on the front sight base, and that worked well. If it doesnt move, and you keep tightening, you will either bend the rod or strip the nut/rod. Ask me how I know  I also ended up makeing a support for the inside of the trunion that made one side even with the other side to evenly support the washers that are inside the trunion when using the thread method.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
hey Fishpaw got a picture illistration on this process,.. you know for guys like me? ive done a few so far with the "beat the barrel in with a hammer" method,...i think i am getting a bit sick & tired and a little lazy to keep doing that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I just used a hammer and a muzzle break i didnt like ot put my barrel back in.

It only took about 20 minutes to get it back in.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top