Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 5:21:53 PM EDT
A Romanian.  I haven't shot it yet, just finished it up on Tuesday.

I'm debating on how to finish it.  Part of me wants to give it the battlefield treatment, you know, bang it around and distress the finish with scotchbrite pads and what not.  Another part of me wants to refinish the furniture, and bake spray bake the metal with Rustoleum textured black.

I am already planning my next build, which will have some form of folding stock.  It will also be a Romy.  Probably with a nicer finish.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good. I'm still in the planning stages, myself. Limited budget means I have to plan it out for a while. I'd like to try a "fold your own", but it looks like I'm on my own, as far as tools go, and it's not always easy to find the specific info you're looking for when a question comes up.

It looks like yours went well, though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Where in Texas are you located?  We just had a build party in FW last weekend, and there is another one scheduled for this weekend.  Think you could make it?  Check out the "DFW build party" thread in this forum.

I wanted to add: A Big Thanks to getit for having me over last weekend to bend some flats and stuff.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:59:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Where in Texas are you located?  We just had a build party in FW last weekend, and there is another one scheduled for this weekend.  Think you could make it?  Check out the "DFW build party" thread in this forum.

I'm in Austin, and this weekend isn't going to work with my work schedule. I guess what I'll do is stock up on the stuff and  look for another weekend that y'all get together for my first build.

I know for my own builds here, I'll need the 12 ton press and the bending jig, but is there anything I'll need a welder for?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Before you decide to buy that stuff, I would consider just driving up sometime when you can.  There are a couple guys here in DFW with bending jigs and presses, who have said they're more than happy to let folks use them.  You could just buy as many flats as you think you'll need, and then make the drive and bend 'em all.  Better than dropping the $250 on tools you might only use once.  Heck, probably more than that.  I have heard of people having $800 plus into their AK tooling.  

A benefit of doing this is you get to meet some of these folks.  Meet folks to shoot with, etc.  Send an IM to getit, maybe there is a weekend that would work for you both, perhaps a weekend where he's already planning to do rifle stuff.  I don't know that I will be able to make it tomorrow anyways,  If it doesn't work out with getit, I would tell you to post up in the hometown section and ask for Austin builders who can help you out or whatever.

No real pressing need for a welder, unless you want to do a weld-build like I did.  With screw or rivet builds there's no need for a welder (except a spot welder for the rails).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#5]
looks great hoohaa!! are ya happy?? are ya all warm and fuzzy on the inside??  LOL
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#6]
haha, not quite fuzzy yet... I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice lookibg build HH.
Let us know how it runs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#8]
welded? i cant tell.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, it's welded.  I used a Hobart Handler 140 with .035 flux core.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]
job well done looks great
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top