Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 4:59:23 AM EDT
I need to order a compliance trigger and a reciever.  My question is, should I get a double hook or a single hook?  I know what the physical differences are, I just want to know why one over the other.  Which works better?  Stuff like that.  Anyone other than Tapco make triggers and are they as good or better?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
i got the double hook im very happy with it
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
So what made you pick the double over the single?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So what made you pick the double over the single?

That's what I'm wondering
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:32:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Evening

I have to say go with the double hook trigger too.  I have found that the single hook trigger is not as crisp on let off and does not give me as good a feel as the double hook.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, that's the answer I was looking for.  I was leaning toward a double, just because I think it would be stronger, but I wanted someone elses opinion because I've never had an ak before.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I would add an issue of safety in using the SINGLE HOOK trigger group.

In home builds, the outer dimensions of the receiver can vary, especially if it's built from a flat. Some manufactured receivers can vary also (I have seen large variances in Ohio rec's for example).

If the receiver is wider side to side than spec, the gun will still run fine, HOWEVER, the issue comes up that the trigger will have side to side play on the trigger pin. If there is enough play, with the single hook trigger it is possible to cock the hammer, then push the trigger sideways releasing the hammer while keeping the trigger forward (NOT pressed).

This happened on one of my first builds from a flat. I assembled it and noticed the play allowing the trigger to move side to side enough to let the hammer fall. This is dangerous for obvious reasons, the least of which is dropping the gun on its side, causing the trigger to move, and firing the gun without pressing the trigger. NOTE this can happen with the safety ON or OFF.

With the double hook trigger, even if there is sideways play of the trigger, one hook always is still engaged on the hammer.

The important thing here is when building or assessing a gun and its safety, to look at this aspect of the trigger installation. Again, the above condition will still allow the gun to function perfectly, but in some conditions, it may fire with the trigger forward and safety on.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
You make good points sir, thanks for re-affirming my decision on a double hook trigger set up.  Safety first, then fun.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#8]
And whats nice about it, is if you get a double hook and install it and then you try someone elses's single hook and you decide you like it more then just cut one hook off. I personally really like my double hook, and if your as cheap as I am then you'll get the double hook after all more metal for the same money
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#9]
i had a single hook in my sar-1 and as the trigger hole got worn the hook on the trigger would move off of the hammer, i fixed the problem by installing the double hook.
on my build the left rail is  missing a dimple that acts as a spacer for the hammer. useing the single hook from my sar it would sometimes fail to hold the hammer back. useing the double hook trigger it became a non problem.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:26:17 AM EDT
[#10]
All my builds use a double hook as it is the same price and gives me a better trigger squeeze. Yes, I know that the original was a single hook, but it was also Full Auto. I will stick with the double hook for now!

Quoted:
And whats nice about it, is if you get a double hook and install it and then you try someone elses's single hook and you decide you like it more then just cut one hook off. I personally really like my double hook, and if your as cheap as I am then you'll get the double hook after all more metal for the same money

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends a lot on your receiver and if your willing to modify it. A lot of people have single hook receivers and prefer to keep them that way. If you have a double hook receiver then definately go with the double hook if you have a single hook receiver just realize that you will have to modify it.

www.MidwestArmory.com
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:26:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Modifying the reciever is no problem.  I work with a great gunsmith here in MO when i'm not at my primary job and I do some light machine shop work also.   Thanks for all the great input on this guys.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top