Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 5:17:28 PM EDT
After success with AK building, I've developed interest in buidling something else.  

I've found a few sources for FAL kits.  Unfortunately I don't know much about them.  

DSA is the only source I've found for a receiver.  Over $400 for a receiver.  Are there any economical alternatives?  What are the differences between type 1, type 2, type 3, and L1A1 receivers?

What special tools are required for such a project?  Does this require more skill than an AK build?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
After success with AK building, I've developed interest in buidling something else.  

I've found a few sources for FAL kits.  Unfortunately I don't know much about them.  

DSA is the only source I've found for a receiver.  Over $400 for a receiver.  Are there any economical alternatives?  What are the differences between type 1, type 2, type 3, and L1A1 receivers?

What special tools are required for such a project?  Does this require more skill than an AK build?

Imbels are no longer being imported into the country, so DSA is one of the few receivers you still can get. You could always look for a used receiver though too. Type 1, 2, and 3 are as I under stand it mostly cosmetic. I believe you need to be more worried about metric vs. inch. I know you're going to at least use a receiver wrench. Go hit up Falfiles.com or the FAL section here in the armory, there's tons of knowledge there. I've got all of the parts to do mine, but haven't put it together yet Oh yea don't forget you need US parts too. The DSA receiver will count as one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You're probably going to have to use a DSA receiver, the Imbels are now selling for just about as much, and mostly all you can get is someone's leftovers. There are others - Coonan, Hesse - but for the first time I'd get a DSA.  I've never used a DSA but they are supposed to be gun art quality and it makes a big difference with FAL's. The differences in type are in how much and where metal has been removed to lighten the receiver - look on DSA's website to see.  Building a FAL is completely different than an AK, no rivets(or whatever), no press needed. The main issues are indexing the barrel and setting the headspace. You'll need to buy some pin gauges for the headspace. There are many methods to index the barrel, but you'll probably end up with a receiver wrench and a barrel vise for that. If you get those tools I'd say it's easier than an AK, not much if any filing /grinding, jut polishing and fitting/assembling. About $100 in tools if you can't borrow them from someone.
You need to check out the Falfiles if you're going to do it, it's all there and plenty of help from nice people if you need it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You can make your own reciever wrench with a little patience. For a barrel wrench I used a 1 1/16" open end wrench with whatever feeler gauge fits to fill the gap if needed.  Head space gauges are required.  Setting head space is easy because it is adjusted by replacing a machined pin (locking shoulder).  That pin locates the bolt.  You can also assemble the gun and fire a round or two and measure the spent case with a case gauge to make sure the head space isn't too great but this is usually more of a tool for fine tuning.  Check out the Nodak http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm for a receiver.  I used an Imbel receiver for both a metric and an inch build.  CDDN had new barrels for $89 a while back.  I built an Imbel kit on an Imbel reciever with a new barrel (had to switch gas blocks) and it's my favorite gun.  Very good accuracy, light recoil, dependable and built like a tank.

Check out  http://www.wecsog.org/fal/carbine/  and  http://www.gunthings.com/
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:07:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it me or can i not click on those links off to the right? (on falfiles.com)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is it me or can i not click on those links off to the right? (on falfiles.com)

You need to click "Fal Files message board" at the top of the page.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top