Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 6:05:21 PM EDT
I am installing an underfolder trunion in my MAADI. My question is this. If you were me, what method would you use to install this one rear trunion? Rivets?, U drives?, Screws? I'm not going to be building a bunch of stuff, and just have this need

I really want to do the rivets because of the look, but I don't want to go overboard with riveting jigs, etc. What are the minimum tools would you use to install the rivets?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with rivets.  All that is required is one 24" boltcutter and some time at the bench grinder and drill press to modify them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What about the long trunion rivet? That's the one that I'm worried about...............

How do you "squeeze" that one?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What about the long trunion rivet? That's the one that I'm worried about...............

Squeeze it in a vise with a divot plate to protect the rivet head.  I've found that if you leave the end of the rivet sticking out 3/16" (you may have to shorten it to get it to this length) before you squeeze it and 1/16" after you squeeze that this produces good results.  

Have you done any builds before?  You might want to try out a build on a cheap kit before you start working on your conversion.  Also, I'm not sure but don't you need to weld in one of the rear trunnion holes left over from the fixed stock rear trunnion?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

All you need is a piece of steel with a divet drilled into it the shape of the rivet head. Put the rivet through the hole, rest the head of the rivet into that divet and smack the other side with a hammer, from there you can use small punches to round the head of the smashed head, a little dremel work grinding/smoothing out you will have a rivet head on that isde. Another way of doing it is to take a piece of round stock and drill a divet on the end of it, slide the rivet through the hole, rest it on the bench in the divet, take the round stock place it on the exposed rivet and smash it, it will form its own head. I use an airhammer for this. I modified an air hammer bit with the divet drilled in the end, i squeeze the trigger for a couple seconds and thats it, touch it up with a grinding wheel with the dremel and ur done. McM
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top