Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/25/2006 3:06:08 PM EDT
So today Im building my Romanian Kit. I am putting everything together to see how it will function. I knew I had to do some filling here and there on the rails.

I slid the bolt and carrier in and cycled it acouple of time and noticed that it slides foward really really smooth. But when I pull back it gets stuck. When I do it slowly it doesnt stick, but if I do it fast it stops dead in its tracks. At first I thought this was just my AK but the other person I was doing the build with his ak did the exact same thing. I have never owned one before but I have a feeling that this is not normal. Are we over looking something?

And to make things even worse I cannot get it to slide all the way back. Thanks for the Help.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you installed the center support yet? I had that problem on mine but it was fixed after I riveted in the support.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont think that is the problem. One of the kits came with the center support installed and the other kit need one still.

After spending hours going back and forth I think the bolt either over turns or under turns in higher speeds. Does this sound possible.  I dont want to go grinding on anything that might cause problems later on.  

Also I was thinking that maybe it could be the thickness of my rails. I am using Cold Steels .064 reciever. The bolt carrier moves down the rails with ease but it doesnt have any what I would call slop or wiggle room.

Any Input or something I should be looking  for would be helpfull.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
first thing...take the bolt out of the carrier and see if it does it like that.....then try w/ it in notice the diff u feel

also make sure u have the gas tube in place when checking......as u are sliding back and fourth...pull up on the carrier, then the same pushing down see if it gets better

how far back does it go?? half way back on rec?? just a couple inches?? i always put a few drops of motor oil on the carrier and the rails..also where bolt rides in the carrier(top section of bolt)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#4]

first thing...take the bolt out of the carrier and see if it does it like that.....then try w/ it in notice the diff u feel

I did that day one. Without the bolt installed it slides back and forth smoothly.

also make sure u have the gas tube in place when checking......as u are sliding back and fourth...pull up on the carrier, then the same pushing down see if it gets better

Tried this with the bolt installed and made no difference.

how far back does it go

The bolt carrier moves back to where the hammer would strike the firing pin. The Bolt spins but only moves a few mm way from the chamber.

I have downloaded a video to google Im just waiting for it to be approved. What makes this so hard to figure out is that I cannot see what is causing the problem. That is why Im here to maybe narrow down the causes.  Thanks Getit
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
take the bolt out of the carrier and run it down the rails w/ ur hand and watch it at the front and see if u can see anything....might help

so when u say BACK....it gets hung when u pulling it back to the buttstock?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You might try a little bit of magic marker on your rails and contact points ( anywhere suspect ) then run it through just to see if you can find the binding point. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#7]
yep good idea! or a quick light coat of paint and see where the paint rubs off
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I just had to troubleshoot my own rail problems yesterday.  I asked a few questions on forums, but I really figured out what was binding by playing with the carrier for a long time.  Get a good light, cycle it over and over watching from different angles.  

On mine I had to bend the lower rails a bit, they were off slightly.

Is there any way you cut the upper rails a little too wide, so that the carrier is slightly popping out when you pull back fast?  

Also, make sure your rails are flat.  Look down the receiver from behind the rear trunion, look for any waves or funny bends on the upper rails.  This can cause strange binding issues.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top