Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 4:36:10 PM EDT
Well, I'm putting my first build together and I got a little ahead of myself. While inserting the barrel back into the trunion I accidentally damaged a few threads so I wont be able to get a slant brake on there, slightly mushroomed it actually. Anyone have a fix for this, I think I canprobably file them down some but want to do it the right way. Any suggestions for this noob mistake?

Thanks- nhg21
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You can try the proper thread file if the mushrooming is slight (very). Otherwise a professional repair is called for. Is there any damage to the crown and/or the rifling? Next time you need to drive a part like this, try to protect the barrel by either threading something onto the barrel that can take striking or use a mallet that is softer than the barrel(or both). Is this type of installation typical on an AK? That is, is there a better tool for this job than banging on the front of the barrel? Be careful and good luck on your build.
Josh
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Its slight and I think I can repair it. The top three threads are the issue, I used a piece of wood to try and protect it but this is obviously the wrong choice.  Just did a search on thread file and I think I might need the thread cutter, nope I need a file - I'll have to hit the local hardware shop and see if they got it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
you just need to chase the threads with a die
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top