Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 12:23:20 PM EDT
Anyone know the qualitative difference or had any experience building with Harlans "economy" receiver. It looks much cleaner and nicer than the Globals I have on hand, but having not built a single rifle (stockpiling parts at this point) I was wondering about the meaning of ;

"Some of the features it DOES NOT HAVE are:
top rail step-down
laser-cut holes to eliminate stretch at trigger pin hole
lower left rail mag guide "
Taken from the DCI site

I am trying to decipher what extra build steps will have to be done vs the Global unit (and I don't want to bother Harlan by flooding him with yet another email)
They are both great looking but the price of the economy is VERY attractive !
Thanks Guys!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=275528 (only viewable if you are a member of Gunsnet)

gunsgutsandgod.com/nodakspud.htm

www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25257

www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11543

www.akforum.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1400

The DCI NDS-3 receivers are ready for assembly out of the box. No extra steps are required of the assembler.

Thanks.
Harlan
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Not taking into account wait times and availability, I personally would choose the Global over the DCI economy receiver.  When DCI starts offering their AKM Premium receiver, then I'd probably go with the DCI.  The economy receiver doesn't have stepped rail and a few other features that I'd like to have.  Also, the selector notch isn't very attractive either and I prefer to drill my own holes.  Since Global is still catching up on their back orders I might as well just wait for the DCI premium receivers that are supposed to be available sometime next month.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#3]
WOW that was a fast reply Harlan!!!
Thanks!
Those links, and your explanation pretty much sum it up.
I will be working up my order next week (along with my Yugo receivers).
Will the "premium receivers" have the step-down?
Can the step down be added (to the economy) by the end user (builder)?
If you offer this same predrilled standard receiver with the added features
it would be sellout !!! At least with me !!!

I'll have to say , the pre-drilled holes sure seem like they would be a major
time saver !!!
Excellent news.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted: Will the "premium receivers" have the step-down?
Can the step down be added (to the economy) by the end user (builder)?

Yes, the DCI premium AKM receiver will have the step down on the upper rails.
There is good discussion here on the top rail step down detail and suggestions on how to add the detail to a receiver without it: www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22440.

Lots of guys want receivers without predrilled rivet holes and lots of guys want recivers with predrilled rivet holes. It gets difficult to have enough models to satisfy all.

Thanks.

Harlan
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Harlan, are we still looking at sometime in April for the Premium Receivers to be available?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Harlan, are we still looking at sometime in April for the Premium Receivers to be available?

Thanks!

Yes, in late April. Production tooling is expected to be done in March. Then a few sample receivers will be made for our inspection. Once we are satisfied with the receiver design, we will authorize the production run. The stamping house has time set aside in April to do the production run.
Thanks.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Howdy Harlan,
I might have already missed this (you may have already posted it)
but any ballpark idea on price and custom numbers?
You can IM or email me offline if you like.
Will likely be ordering 15-20 total ( a mix of economy/yugo/premium : )
Thanks!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top