Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/20/2006 7:22:18 AM EDT

I was just reading something which said you could heat and install the front trunion rivets without removing the barrel... I'm guessing the barrel itself is the block used to expand the back of the rivets.

Why is this method not often mentioned? Does it not work out right every time?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]
where did you see that????got a link??
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
There are some guys who use the barrel as a bucking bar when they rivet the trunnion in place.  I am not sure of results, but some of the AKs that I have demilled looked like the barrel was used as a bucking bar for the rivets when they were originally assembled.  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#3]

It's mentioned here:

http://www.akparts.com/akinfo7.html

The rest of the articles are on the main site at the bottom:

http://www.akparts.com

if I can really do it that way it'll save a lot of time. Problem is he mentions that the rivets need to be the perfect length but never says what that length is.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest that if you are considering this type of build that perhaps you should look at the drive screw tutorials.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Too late, already have the rivet kit... also, doing an underfolder and dont want to use screws for half of it.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Then I would go with a standard rivet build if it were me doing it.  Pressing the barrel out and back in isn't that hard, and no really expensive tools are necessary.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmm... I'm willing to sacrifice a couple rivets to see if it'll work... I have a few long ones which I probably wont use, so I could cut them down to the right length and pound em in.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top