Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 6:36:23 PM EDT
my MAADI has a rounded rivet head on both sides of the receiver on the rear trunion.  i could see maybe some long rivets that the end "crushed" to shape the button?  or is it two shorter rivets placed in both sides and crushed together?  

i'm building a romy kit right now and i would like to have the buttons on both sides.  anyone know how this is done?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Use the long rivets.

It will look like this when youre done

Beat you

www.montanafungun.com/rommybuild.jpg
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Use the long rivets.

It will look like this when youre done

Beat you

www.montanafungun.com/rommybuild.jpg

were your rivets long enough to form a button.  mine arn't.

they just pushed inside the trunion.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
They were long enough to make a smooshed mess resembling a button.  I just staggered them so I got one button on each side.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#4]
how about if i cut just a little off the end of my long rivet, crushed it flush, then crushed a short rivet into the hole too?  i wonder if it would stay or not?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Make a divot that looks like a rivet head in a small piece of steel. For this one I used a 1/4" ball end mill to make the divot. I then squished it with my 6 ton A-frame press.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been curious about this too, until yesterday when my brothergot his krink kit that neverbeen assembled with the rivets and everything, well i took the extra rivet i had left for the rear trunion and the one for his rear trunion and the one that came with the kit was larger in diameter adn a little longer.  I was before buying the 23 peice rivet set from global trades, but am going to look around at a few more options now.  Anyone know which oneswork well andwhich ones don't?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
when i did mine yesterday it only flattened the rivet a little for the rear rivets. so i got two stubs and two heads  on the other side (i actualy like it that way tho) but i think the tapco rivets are to small and the rivet mostly buckles inside and fills the counter sinks. no way in hell they will move out but if i got it to form a small head ill be happy. damn rivets are harder then i thoguht :)
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top