Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/17/2006 9:25:23 AM EDT
Ive shot about 300 rounds through my pmkms, but today I had a problem that cut my day of shooting short. The bolt carrier sticks after I pull it back and then let go. I can forcibly push it forward, but after I shoot a round itll just stick at the back and not load another round. Anyone encounter this problem and know what needs to be fixed?

I was told by the builder to get a blackjack buffer

www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

anyone use or have any comments on this product?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Sticks at the back? Sounds strange... could something have busted in the recoil spring?  I would not add a buffer until you find the real problem. Check the receiver cover, recoil spring, and then make sure your trigger parts are not loose... also check to make sure one of the rails isn't loose or something weird.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I took the rifle apart and looked over everything, tried a new spring but that didnt work.  whats weird is the next day it seems to be fine, so what Im thinking is when the rifle heats up something is expanding and causing it to stick.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen on 2 of my builds that when the bolt gets to the very rear of the receiver, it may jump up and out of the area you installed it in (due to the hammer forcing upward pressure on it).  Also, when it begins to slide forward, it may ride high on the left upper rail and bind there, a good push will make it fall back down on the ejector rail and proceed forward into the trunnion.  I ordered a 3 pack of recoil buffers to prevent the bolt from going as far back as it does.  I also ground a little off the 'Tapco' hammer so it looks more like the original hammer.  Less material pushing up on the bolt as it slides over it.

Hope this helps us both out .
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ive shot about 300 rounds through my pmkms, but today I had a problem that cut my day of shooting short. The bolt carrier sticks after I pull it back and then let go. I can forcibly push it forward, but after I shoot a round itll just stick at the back and not load another round. Anyone encounter this problem and know what needs to be fixed?

I was told by the builder to get a blackjack buffer

www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=180

anyone use or have any comments on this product?

I got the same problem too.  I'm thinking some buffers should do the trick if not it might become a nice wall piece.

If that fails I'll try grinding the hammer.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]
sounds like a similiar issue i had.  your bolt carrier is coming back and catching on the upper rails of the receiver.  i just added a buffer and walla no more issues!!!  throw in a buffer and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#6]
It seems that my carrier is stopping on the hammer, heres a pic of where its stopping.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If you push the hammer all the way down, pull the trigger and hold, it will hold the hammer down.  Check to see if the bolt carrier is binding then, might tell you wether it's the hammer or rails.

ps - nice looking build you got.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you push the hammer all the way down, pull the trigger and hold, it will hold the hammer down.  Check to see if the bolt carrier is binding then, might tell you wether it's the hammer or rails.

ps - nice looking build you got.

wow thanks, yep its the hammer, its nice n smooth when the hammer is down and im holding the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm guessing it's a Tapco FCG?
If it is, take the hammer out and grind it down a tad, you can use the original hammer as a guide of how it should look.
I'm doing the same on my kits
Turns out the FCG holes in a Tapco flat are a little high causing the hammer to do this.

oh, also check to make sure the bottom of the bolt doesn't hit the crossmember bushing.  If it (the bushing) does, file it down till the bolt clears freely.

If your mag sits in the rifle with the bottom of the mag canted to the right, you can dremel the lower rail on the right side to level it out.  Don't do too much or you'll get mag wobble.

Hope that helps,
Kyle
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
ya its a tapco g2 dbl hook fcg, I checked the crossmember bar and it has no scuff marks or anything.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been seeing a lot of topics on this lately (bolt carriers catching on a G2 FCG).  My SAR1 does the same exact thing except it doesn't seem to be causing any cycling problems.  Though it functions fine should I be concerned with the carrier smacking the crap out of the hammer all the time?  Also, will grinding on the hammer ruin the hardness of the hammer?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I took the fcg apart and I put the rifle back together using the original hammer that came with the pmkms kit. Unfortunately it changed nothing.  Ive began to dremel the g2 hammer and its definetly helping.  Ive had enough of it for today, but Ill probably grind it down some more in the next day or so and it should be smooth as silk. Ill take a pic of it when im done.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#13]
dont take off to much, gotta make sure the little disconnector will still catch the hammer when you hold the trigger down and cycle the bolt.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Heres a pic of where I ground the hammer down. It made a big difference, it still hangs if I manually hold the carrier and go forward but all it takes is a little flick of my finger and it flys forward. Before I actually had to use some force to get it to go forward. Hopefully when I go shooting nexttime and the rifle begins to heat up it wont start to stick again.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Most of mine had similar issues when they were newly built. After a few hundred rounds they will work somewhat smoother.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Was finally able to go out and test the rifle today, shot about 200 rounds. Its nice and smooth with no problems at all now, thats if I just shoot normal 1 round at a time. When I try to bumpfire though every 7th or 8th round will misfire and I have to eject and load the next round. Sometimes the bullet would actually fire, but it wouldnt eject the casing and I would have to do it myself and load the next round.

Only thing I can think of causing this problem is the ammo, I was using the 154 gr. wolf soft points. Anyone got any other ideas? Next time I go out Ill try the wolf fmjs.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top