Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 11:15:55 PM EDT
Will a 6 ton press do the job of bending and the barrel pin?  Seems nice and cheap for 60 bucks

6 ton A frame

6 ton shop press

thanks guys

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen posts where people used a 6ton with no problem.  I used a 12 for my builds though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#2]
12 ton H frame...
Has the more than enough power to do the job...I don't think a 6 ton will do it because I have come close to maxing out my 12ton  on some ROMY's..
Also you need the added length of a  12ton H-frame when pressing in the barrels.
IMHO based on my personel use...
Also..YOU MUST soak your pin atleast the night before..PB blaster or Kroil..
I did not do that on my first build and seized the pin inplace..It moved a 1/4in and stopped.
Had to drill it.
I have this one from HF  12ton H frame
Don't go cheap...Atleast when it comes to a 6 or 12 ton...
There are more 12 tons out there than 6tons or 20 tons...Why...
Because 12tons work for removing and installing pins and barrels and making flats....
Also...One of the biggest reasons that made it work effortlessly was that I was using Ak-Builders tools....
Barrel Installation and Removal Kit,,,Adjustable Trigger Guard Rivet Jig,,It is not a shameless plug but these work and you can always sell them when done.
pin & barrel remover
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a heads up... bought my 12 Ton from Harbor Freight yesterday in Salt Lake City for $109..  took me about 30 minutes to put it together last night...  I'm ready....comoooonnnn  Kit......Les
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah with that 20% of coupon i might as well get the 12 ton.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top