Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 4:16:11 PM EDT
Ok I'm currently do a romanian ak build and want a nice finish on it to match the receiver with the rest of the rifle.  I am going to refinish all of the metal parts.  Whats a good do-it-yourself finish ?  Thanks in advanced.

-William
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
dura kote
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Molyresin.

Here's a great thread about refinishing. I learned a couple of things from it myself
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
dura kote

Do you have any pictures of it?  Also does it come in a matte finish?  I have seen a newer rifle with a dura coat camo job and it looked kind of shiny.

-William
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow delayed double tap.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like Molyresin.

Here's a great thread about refinishing. I learned a couple of things from it myself

Wow that stuff does sound great.  I just orders a quart of flat black.  Thanks that definitly sounds like I can do it at home with great effects.  Thanks again

-William
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like Molyresin.

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:02:25 AM EDT
[#8]
If I bake Molyresin in my home oven, is it going to funk up the place and bring down the wrath of the Mrs. upon on all earth...?    
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:18:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If I bake Molyresin in my home oven, is it going to funk up the place and bring down the wrath of the Mrs. upon on all earth...?    

It stinks a little. But it dosent stick around long and it shouldnt P.O. the wife to badly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:19:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like Molyresin.

Wow that stuff does sound great.  I just orders a quart of flat black.  Thanks that definitly sounds like I can do it at home with great effects.  Thanks again

-William

Just make sure you sandblast for best results.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:44:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dura kote

Do you have any pictures of it?  Also does it come in a matte finish?  I have seen a newer rifle with a dura coat camo job and it looked kind of shiny.

-William

that newer rifle was probly  mine my first atempt at dura kote i screwed up aand orderd the wrong clear and ended up with a high gloss spraying it with matte clear will fix that my second try was a cz with digital green frame and skull ive tried both moly and dura they each have there own down falls when i tried moly some of the colers were not compatable you couldnt blend for diffrent shades without getting pigment to add.  The manufacture also told me i had to fully cure before applying a diffrent color witch also made it take longer 3 hr between colors instead of 20 min maybe things have changed in the past couple of years with it will have to read some of these threads
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top