Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2006 1:31:19 PM EDT
I had my rails welded in by a local shop , but one of them looked a little crooked so I tried to straighten it up. The welds broke with very little effort so i removed the other side (also with little effort) neither side got burned in properly . My question is what now ? How should I attach my rails ? Any info is greatly appreciated .
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Would it be possible to use screws to install them ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you need a wider hole to plug weld....Reweld...
Was this A professional  welder doing it for you???
Or a I own a welder so I am a welder type of guy..
Also use a Letter C drill bit to align the rails.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The top 10 reasons lower rails come loose from home built receivers.

Reason #10- The builder didn't chew all the sugar out of the bubblegum.

Reason #9- The builder took it to his buddy who claimed to be a welder, but was really a proctologist.

Reason #8- Admits "The gun was loaded and so was I"

Reason #7- Builder didn't use a moon phase calander when install was attempted.

Reason #6- It's bush's fault.

Reason #5- Builder hasn't been layed in weeks.

Reason #4- Delirium tremors

Reason #3-  Spent most of his building time talking about who's going to win "American Idol"

Reason #2- Builder is engaged to Katie Holmes

And the number one reason lower rails come loose from home built receivers- He didn't use a spot welder!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:51:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes he is a professional welder but after closer inspection I think you are right about the bigger hole , thanks for the tip about the bit to align the rail . In response to the second reply I think it was number 1 , definitely not numbers 2 3 5 8 9 or 10 . Although it could have been number 4 as well . Thanks for the help guys .hotgun.gif
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not to nitpick, but not always a "C" drill.  Sometimes it is different, you just have to use what ever size that keeps the correct alignment.  It will be around a "C", but not necessarily the actual "C".
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to nitpick, but not always a "C" drill.  Sometimes it is different, you just have to use what ever size that keeps the correct alignment.  It will be around a "C", but not necessarily the actual "C".

PICKY PICKY PICKY...I'l drink to that  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL , what would that rough out to in standard or numbered bits ? I am having trouble finding lettered bits .
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
it really does vary.... use whatever makes it line up with the ledge on the front trunion
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Use whatever size it takes to get the rails lined up with the trunnion. Not absolutly a "C", but that's always a good place to start. Remember, any variation from a right angle on the bend of the top rail will influence what size bit you need to use to keep your spacing. And just because one size is golden for one side doesn't mean it will be for the other. It should be close though, because if it isn't the entire receiver geometry could be off. For your viewing pleasure........

.2188", 7/32
        .2210", #2
        .2280", #1
        .2340", A
        .2344", 15/64
        .2362", 6.00mm
        .2380", B
        .2420", C
        .2460", D
        .2500", ¼ ,6.35mm, E
        .2520", 6.40mm
        .2559", 6.50mm    
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Great info , thanks again . Just to clarify though , screwing the rails on isn't a good choice? It really doesn't matter I want them welded in any how .
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Great info , thanks again . Just to clarify though , screwing the rails on isn't a good choice? It really doesn't matter I want them welded in any how .

I built a Bulgarian AK74 that I decided to bolt the rails in and it functioned just fine.  I went to the hobby store and got some 4-40 bolts and nuts and bolted the rails in with them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to sound like an idiot but do I need to use the same spacing as with the welds? I was going to use 6-32's myself, looks like there will be room.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top