Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:45:26 PM EDT
Completed my first build, Romy kit, OOW receiver and drive screws. In spite of the storms and tornado warnings I headed for the range.

I arrived at the range and there was a light rain falling. I unlocked the gate and saw the ground littered with golfball and baseball size hail. Many of the shooters had tried to move their vehicles under the awnings with varying success. Had I arrived ten minutes sooner my truck would have been toast.

Missing the hale was a good thing, but what made my day really special was that my build functioned flawlessly!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#1]
pics?

How'd the screw build go for you?  

I have parts on order, and will be doing a build in the next month. Planning on using the drive screws.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
It went great.

I used socandyman's tip for marking the trunion holes. I installed the trigger guard first and slid the barreled trunion in and held it in place with a C-clamp to check magazine fit.
I used the receiver cover to place the rear trunion.

I drilled the holes with a small bit to be sure they were in alignment with the trunion holes and then used a #27 bit to enlarge the holes and set the drive screws with a hammer.

I used #8 screws and 2 #10's for the lower front trunion as the rivets fell out when I drilled them, I also used Loctite.

IMHO, those screws are in there to stay but I will keep a close watch on them.

I plan to do a underfolder using rivets for my next build.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds awesome!

I just got my RPK parts kit yesterday...gotta clean it up, order the receiver, and probably be doing assemly in a month.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I dismantled it in order to bead blast and refinish with AlumaHyde.

I will post pics ASAP.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
That front trunnion gets so hot that I wonder if the Loctite is effective.  It breaks down under heat.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top