Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:01:41 PM EDT
   AARP Member

Finally got around to working on my first pistol build some more and just got it ready to test fire today. This is a build I started last year  -- I posted the pics earlier of my barrel cut using a drill press to do the machining and cut.   Since this was my first pistol build I wanted to do a little experimentation with the front gas port size.  I started out with a hole at  0.120 and worked up in increments as close to 5 thousands as  my drills would let me.  At 0.120  I was not even getting ejection. At 0.145 I was getting 75% function.  0.149 drill size 25 was the magic number for this build. Functions 100% every time.

A little loud – but that even makes it MORE fun to shoot. --   I have to admit one fun gun. And I have less then $100 total in this build so far.    I’m officially hooked as a pistol fan.   Now the boring work starts – pimpin it out.  I found an ol amd plastic grip in my junk box that make it look respectable.  Still have to finish the front site – plug up the hole where the stock slips in – make the front hand gauard  – etc – etc – etc.  Thought I’d give it a light sandblasting the try some of Brownell’s spray can finish.  I’ll post a couple more pics when I get it spiffed up.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
It's lookin' good, Aceface! Pimpin' it is the FUN part! You've got the hardest part done. I can't wait to see the finished product. It will look good!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I am building a pistol right now but have a question as to where the gas port hole is drilled. How far from the muzzle should the gas port be drilled... or least the mininum length away from the muzzle.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]

AARP Member

Quoted:
I am building a pistol right now but have a question as to where the gas port hole is drilled. How far from the muzzle should the gas port be drilled... or least the mininum length away from the muzzle.

thanks,
Ron

Dirlled at a 45 degree angle where mine cuts thru into the barrel lands is almost exactly 1.0  inch from the muzzle.   I would guess that is  prob the mininum you would want to try. For your reference my overall bbl legnth is 10.5 inches

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top