Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/11/2006 7:03:35 AM EDT
The easiest method I have found to remove the barrel pin is to set the front trunnion on a big chunk of steel and drive the pin out using a pin punch and big hammer. The more solid the backing the quicker it will come loose, so don't try it on your table (unless your table is made of concrete).
I have a chunk of steel that must weigh about 35 pound and is shaped like a big plus sign that I set on end on the floor in my garage.
Using that and my drill press my son and I managed to remove all the rivits and barrels from six Romys in one evening.
Using this method I have never ran into a pin that would't move after a couple good whacks, just have someone hold it as level as possible.
I even use the same chunk of steel, a big hammer and a big brass drift to remove the barrel from the trunnion.
They use some really tough metal for the trunnions and I have never messed one up.
Sounds quite Redneck.
I would get a press, but I have never found enough of a reason, except maybe to press bearings on a Ford 9" axleshaft. Anyway, I can get another parts kit for the price of a press.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Its not redneck...It is only redneck if it involves the extensive use of duct tape..
Besides...If it sounds stupid,,but works,,IT IS NOT STUPID
If it works it works
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Stubborn romanian barrel pin...check...chunk o' steel...check...big hammer...check

I will try tomorrow!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, so far no luck, I have soaked mine with WD-40 for days, tried to push it out with a vise and tried the air hammer method.  No luck.  Big hammer also not working, though I admit that I don't have a "friend" to hold the punch and am using the hammer one handed...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK, so far no luck, I have soaked mine with WD-40 for days, tried to push it out with a vise and tried the air hammer method.  No luck.  Big hammer also not working, though I admit that I don't have a "friend" to hold the punch and am using the hammer one handed...

Im not sure about the wd-40, but I used a good penetrating oil called pb-blaster and let it soak in for a coouple days before driving it out with a press.  It came out very easy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used this method on over 20 parts kits (Romy, Yugo, Hungarian and Krink) and they all went easy.
You MUST make sure the trunnion is flat on the steel with a SOLID backing.
Use a solid steel center punch larger than the pin to break it loose.
Use a fast stroke with the hammer, a sudden sharp impact makes a world of difference.
Just think of yourself as a Blacksmith forging a sword for Conan and it will move
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe that's my problem, the WD-40 may not be the best penetrant...
Anyway, easy my #@% have
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]
These are the tools I use for removing barrel pins and barrels.
Notice the brass drift is so beat up it has started to form to the chamber.
The drift is alot easier to use then pennies and is only $6 at Harbor Freight.
I have never had a pin or barrel that could resist that big chunk of steel.
The holes in the block are where I drive the pins into.
My wife was kind enough to set it up and send me the pic in Iraq.
Link to my posted pic
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top