Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/10/2006 1:04:23 PM EDT
In a couple of AK's I've built, the mag looks a little crooked when inserted.  The lower part of the mag is off to the right some.  When I watch the bolt slide over the mag, it's hitting the rear right of the mag just a little.  Maybe the front trunnion isn't exactly level, but looks good to the naked eye.  I'm taking them out for a range test this weekend and wanted to have the action smooth before heading out.  Would it be ok to remove some of the metal on the rear right of the mag so the bolt doesn't hit it?  Not much metal, but a little.

Has anyone had a similiar problem?

Thanks for the input,
Kyle
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Which receivers are you using? Ewbanks?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Tapco flats bent on a DPH Arms jig.  

When I looked at it again, the bolt hits the side of the mag, so I filled a little off the bolt on the bottom right side, seems to function good now.  Thought it was easier to file a couple of bolts instaed of  30 mags.  Hope this works.  I also noticed the bolt was hitting the center bushing some, so I filed it down a tad for more clearance.

Has anyone else had this problem and did something different to fix it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
That right lower Tapco rail has an outward bend at the bottom just above the mag dimple. It should be dremeled down some so it's not protruding past the height of the mag dimple. That is what's pushing on the upper right  side of the mag causing it to cant to the right. Ideally the Tapco ejector rail should have had that bend as well to counteract that tendency.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:20:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Firebase hit the nail on the head.
That bend is so they can be used with 5.45 kits also.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Firebase,

Thanks for the info

I ground down the area you talked about, schweet fit now and the mags sit straight.   There's not much mag wobble either.  Time to hit the range and see how my first 3 builds shoot.

Later,
Kyle
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#6]
yep! i have to even knock some down on that part w/ 5.45's too
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Your welcome WillysWagon!

I was tricked by the canted mag thing on my first builds, 'til I looked up into my old NHM-91 magwell and noticed how short those tabs on the lower rails protruded. I knew these AK flats were unisex (7.62 or 5.45) and that extra length, (like the extra ejector length) was provided for the 5.45 builders.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top