Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:34:36 PM EDT
got one of the 115v Harbor Freight spot welder thingies today

i have lower tongs on order - but im wondering if they are really necessary?

what exactly is the purpose of the modified lower tong?
and what does it do that the un-modded tong wont do?

btw - Harbor Freight has these on sale right now for 149.85  + 9 or so for tax
i had to print out the product page from the website and bring it in
but they were cool with it

anyways
thanks for your help
mg
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The mod lower tong fits inside the receiver. The factory tong will not fit. Just try it and you will see
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
no need to buy a modified lower tong if you have a grinder, just cut off the bend in the factory one, grind the end down about half ways, drill a hole and reinstall the tip, now grind the bottom of the tong flat for about 3 inches till the tip moves freely inside of the receiver, adjust the upper tong in the welder to match up with the lower tip.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
no need to buy a modified lower tong if you have a grinder, just cut off the bend in the factory one, grind the end down about half ways, drill a hole and reinstall the tip, now grind the bottom of the tong flat for about 3 inches till the tip moves freely inside of the receiver, adjust the upper tong in the welder to match up with the lower tip.

hey thanks for the reply

any chance you could post a pic of what your talking about?
i need my hand held  
thanks again
mg
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are some pix:

Tongs Modification

and

Guns, Guts and God
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]
$120 shipped to house from ebay. megamegaforce is the vendor. 115v spot welder...i have 1 coming tuesday and i plan to modify the tongs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey thanks for the reply

any chance you could post a pic of what your talking about?
i need my hand held  
thanks again
mg

heres a pic of the welder and squeezers

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top