Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/8/2006 5:05:29 PM EDT
I have a few AKs but have never built one from a kit. It looks like something fun to try, but have very little knowledge on doing it. I work at a sign shop so i have most of the tools ive read are necessary. My questions are about getting the parts. I think i can pick up a receiver at the next gun show. Is it now legal to build an underfold from scratch? Does it have to be a particular kind of receiver? As for the parts kit, ive seen them for sale on gunbroker.com. One question is that the kits are full auto kits, can these be used as long as it is not built as a full auto weopon? I understand the NFA rules. Are there better kits to use? Can ANY kit be installed into ANY receiver? Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
well as long as you have the tools. if you dont you'll spend $800  + on tools and kits. i've been there... buy the kit and buy the receiver dont bend your own
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]

So far I've only seen $200 worth of tools...

$100 for a spot welder
$130 for jig
$18 rivet crusher

Sell the tools when you're done.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out Scott's kit special at DPH ARMS. He has some of the best stuff on the market and he's a great guy to deal with.

His kits are missing the disconnector, but you have to replace the fire control group (FCG) with a US made one anyhow, along with the pistol grip and gas piston, to be legal. He has all that available also.

Be careful. Kit building is addictive.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top