Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/8/2006 11:09:31 AM EDT
I want to convert my CAI angle cut reciever MAADI to an underfolder. I have an underfolder with trunion coming. What am I looking at as far as work....not that I mind...I love the work, but I want to be sure what I'm doing.

Can I cut the holes for the underfolder in my reciever?
What rivets do I need to secure the rear trunion in the reciever?
Help me out....... has someone attempted this before?

I really want an underfolder and the angle cut reciever is just begging to be used.

Please don't tell me to sell the MAADI and buy an underfolder.....I want to do the conversion.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
its a pita and not worth it

but will keep you busy for a few hours if the wife piss's you off
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:38:12 AM EDT
[#2]
159 views and only one reply????...............and the only thing said in that reply was it's a PITA!!!!

C'mon....how about some constructive advice guys!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#3]
sry i was so neg

you will need a rec stub (if you dont have 1 just ask im shure someone will send you 1 for the price of shipping)
tig welder and someone who can weld like the wind

cut the rec stub to fit the back of your rec

you will need to clamp it and only weld 1/4 or so at a time to keep it from warping

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Like candyman said.  It isn't just a pita, it would be a ROYAL pita, and not worth the time and effort in my estimation.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the back of the receiver different than the receiver of say, a Romy or polish?? whats the inside dimention when measuring the receiver?  If it is the standard 1.25 of other guns it will be pretty easy if you have any welding ability.   I think the holes for the front rivets of the Maadi trunnion will need to be filled in with weld.  But..... the trunnion my make a good backing to fill the hole easy and you could use that as another spot to attach the trunnion Via weld..
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The back of his receiver is slant cut \_  not like a Romanian L
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Like candyman said.  It isn't just a pita, it would be a ROYAL pita, and not worth the time and effort in my estimation.

+1
But its your rifle and your time....
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
But its your rifle and your time....

I agree absolutely.  I personally wouldn't risk trashing the receiver to make it an underfolder.  I would just buy either an underfolder kit, or a complete Vulcan underfolder.  Oh wait...  That's what I did when I wanted an underfolder.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I also wanted an underfolder...
So I bought me a  Polish kit and a vulcan reciver....Very easy and I still have an unmolested fixed stock...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I just built A ak-74 with a under folder last weekend. it was my first ak build and man it was supper easy! I was a bit scared when it came to doing the under folder part but when she was all done man it looks great and functions great! I say if you like'em and want to do it go for it. GOOD LUCK TO YA AND HAVE FUN DOING IT!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#11]
OK. Here's my take on this.

I have this:

It's a CAI MAADI....It's a bastard case! CAI had MAADI recievers and a basket full of MAK 90 parts and decided to put them together. They slant cut the reciever, welded it shut with a piece of 1/4" steel and put a butthole stock on it so it wouldn't be so evil. Some of these were lucky enough to have been built up like some MAK 90's that could take the chinese style underfolder without a specific trunion....not my luck.

2 years ago I cut out the steel plate and tried to find a stock to fit it. The only one available was from Ironwood designs, and it aint cheap, nor is it readily available. I talked to Matt at Ironwood and he makes them up as needed, cause there aint many of these bastards around! The stock that's in it now is another bastard special.....the sides are sanded down smooth to the part that goes in the reciever....no inlet on the sides.

I already have a nice INTRAC MAADI, and this one from CAI.

The underfolders, especially the milled ones, have a slight slant cut to them, not as much as this one though. I think this would be a great candidate for the surgery I would like to do. What really is the difference between making a new kit and altering this one?

Yeah, it might be a PITA, but anymore than doing a build from scratch?

Why do we do this? For me it's because it's fun and a challenge. I'm just looking for ideas and possible things that I haven't already thought of. I thought this forum was for an exchange of ideas............
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
now i see what your saying.  that slanted rear receiver will make it a pain.  A guy could look at modifyling the rear trunnion of an underfolder style gun to fit i guess.  Acually it would be easy if you had a mill and can do some welding.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#13]
It sounds like you have already made up your mind.  You most certainly can remove the existing rear tang and square off the receiver by welding in a filler piecs, and if you do a good enough job nobody will ever know.  Then you can put your underfolder stock on.  I guess I didn't realize that you thought so little of this rifle in it's current configuration.  If it were mine, and I really didn't like it I would either get rid of it, or modify it.  Rock on man.  Get drilling, welding, grinding and cutting!  Post pictures of the process if you are able.  I would like to see a step by step.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I guess I didn't realize that you thought so little of this rifle in it's current configuration.  

I think a lot of this rifle! I just want to correct some of the wrongs inflicted on it by CAI. I actually paid less for this rifle, than I would to buy a grade 2 polish UF or a Yugo UF and a reciever. I feel this is a good test bed. I just wanted to get some ideas from the "brain trust"  and see if anyone had done an underfolder from a non underfolder reciever or a flat.

Get drilling, welding, grinding and cutting!  Post pictures of the process if you are able.  I would like to see a step by step.

As I attemp this, I will take pictures of the process and post progress....

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I have seen other people's project Maadi's and SAR's that have been converted to underfolders.  You need to drill two new rivet holes (per side) and the underfolder axis and lock holes, all of which can be referenced off an U/F trunnion.  The top rear rivet hole in your receiver should line up with the corresponding hole in your U/F trunnion.  You just remove the original fixed stock trunnion, make a template for the U/F trunion and drill the corresponding holes in your receiver (slightly undersize to allow fitting), slide in and align the U/F trunnion with the top rear receiver rivet and bring all holes up to size, then rivet the trunnion in place.  You will have a gap between the trunnion and the receiver due to your receiver's angle cut unless you make and weld in some filler pieces, but that is just a cosmetic concern.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top