Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:08:54 AM EDT
I'm heading to HF today.  What are the best type of drill bits to get to drilling out rivets and such.  I see they have titanium and carbide plus a few others.   I'm using a drill press.  Also if anyone has a 20% off coupon could you attach it to your post.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive had luck with both of those kinds of bits. The real trick, is to run the drill press on a slow speed, and use lot of oil when drilling. Go slow and stop the drill to clear the metal shavings often. When drilling the long trunion rivets, only do maybe 1/8 of an inch before you stop to clear the bit & the hole. This also gives your bit a chance to cool down a bit, and of course add a little more oil to the bit. Good luck. After you get the hang of it, it actually goes fairly quickly. Also, start with a small bit and after you drill the entire length, then step up to a slightly larger bit and enlarge the hole. You may have to step up 2 or 3 times.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds good.  wasn't sure if I needed to spend big $$ on quality bits or not
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:40:29 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds good.  wasn't sure if I needed to spend big $$ on quality bits or not
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a set of the HF cheap drills that work just fine for me.  Like the man said, just drill slow and use oil, making sure to clear the hole frequently.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
They have bits of the same size in packs of 8 or 10, for like 4 dollars thatis what I use.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I got a complete cheap set of titanium set that I use.  They work great.  I also have a carbide bit I use for drilling out those long yugo rivets.  Yeah, you will probably pay $2-$3 for a carbide bit, but it will last for more kits than you can ever have the time to put togeather.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I ran a machine shop for years and I would suggest that you buy quality and buy once. A good set of carbide bits should cost you around $75.00 They should last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I ran a machine shop for years and I would suggest that you buy quality and buy once. A good set of carbide bits should cost you around $75.00 They should last a lifetime.

Never bought good quality ones before, a good bit last a lifetime? Do you have to resharpen or they just last?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget to get a Drill Doctor.  Your bits will last forever.  I have sharpened dull bits that cut better than new with a $10 garage sale Drill Doctor.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top