Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:01 PM EDT
Is there any reason that a person couldn't TIG weld in the rails if the person doing the welding is a very good welder?  I know of nobody in my area that has a spot welder.  Has anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is there any reason that a person couldn't TIG weld in the rails if the person doing the welding is a very good welder?  I know of nobody in my area that has a spot welder.  Has anyone tried this?

I have done 2 with no problems. It's way more work, but my spot welder is broken.

Make sure the welds are done right, because when done you can't really see them to inspect them, so you have to trust that the welder did his job....
and yes...TIG is the way to go
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been thinking something similar. I don't have a spot welder, but I have a mig welder.  I could drill two small holes through the receiver and rail where the spot weld would normally go, and fill this hole with the mig and then gind it down.  I'd be using low power and gas, same as for auto bodywork panels.

Think this would work ok?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:34:23 AM EDT
[#3]
The reason I ask this is because I know someone who is simply an awesome welder with a tig and I'd trust him to do this.  Where in the rails would you put the weld?  This would also be stronger than spot welding, right?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have been thinking something similar. I don't have a spot welder, but I have a mig welder.  I could drill two small holes through the receiver and rail where the spot weld would normally go, and fill this hole with the mig and then gind it down.  I'd be using low power and gas, same as for auto bodywork panels.

I've done this way too, before I had a TIG. You just have to make sure that you get the weld into the rail before you puddle up the hole. Depending on what wire size you are using, you can make the thru hole in the receiver large enough to make hitting the rail thru it easier.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The reason I ask this is because I know someone who is simply an awesome welder with a tig and I'd trust him to do this.  Where in the rails would you put the weld?  This would also be stronger than spot welding, right?

If you have a great TIG welder avail, go for it...
Put the welds in basically the same locations as the spot welds you see on other guns...only since they are larger, you have 1 or 2 less. Just spread them out and stay away from the edges and cross piece holes.

Is it stronger? It probably is, but both are more than adequate for the job.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
TheNorm, thanks.  I'll just drill the hole in the receiver and pool the weld on the rail to fill the hole right?

This is great. Looks like I may be able to do everything myself using a bottle jack for a home made press, and the mig instead of a spot welder.  Just need the jig and I'm good.  I think.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I found spot welding is easier and looks better.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I used a mig to weld mine just like you described.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

it'll work, I did two this way, only I used an arc welder.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Hows it look after you grind them down?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#11]
You might consider using a "Unibit" drill bit to "step-drill" the holes.  They're available at most hardware stores.  That way you can get the weld penetrated into the rail before puddling up the hole in the receiver wall.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hows it look after you grind them down?

Started with a 60 grit sanding drum on the dremel, then hand sanded with  180 grit emery cloth  followed by 360 sand paper.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top