Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:46:50 PM EDT
what media should be used before finishing?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I use home depot sandbox sand. Make sure you screen it, The sand will have crap in it that will stop up your blaster if you dont.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
stay away from the black diamond stuff sold at Tractor Supply Co, I think its just black sand, supposed to be for blasting, but too hard in the cabinet for gun work, I thought after a little while it would soften up taking the rough edges off, but just became a dusty mess
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard glass bead is the best but, I always just use silica sand from Home depot.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have heard glass bead is the best but, I always just use silica sand from Home depot.  

Glass beads are good if you intend on blueing the metal.  Glass beads supposedly can polish the metal too much for good paint adhesion.  You really should use sand or aluminum oxide for paint.  I've used Home Depot sandbox sand and like ark-and-spark said, you do need to screen it to remove the bigger sand particles or it'll clog up the blaster gun.  I prefer alumimun oxide but sand works well too and is a helluva lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 on aluminum oxide.  Its the only way to go if you are going to refinish it in some type of paint (Moly Resin, Duracoat, GunKote, etc).
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
aluminum oxide, manganese phosphate park job, then duracoat.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
aluminum oxide, manganese phosphate park job, then duracoat.[/quote

spend a few bucks more and get aluminum oxide.  Silicosis is nothing to mess with.  Do a google search on the symptoms and resulting bodily harm from Silicosis (breathing fine sand dust).

Do what you choose, but at least take the time to reasearch so you can't say you didn't know better.

caspian
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
lots of guys forget this.... if your new sand is too rough and eating up too much metal, turn down the pressure on your air regulator and hold the part out a little further. new rough sand will be fine at 40psi.  as it wears out turn up the pressure.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Swimming pool filter sand.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top