Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 5:18:11 AM EDT
Not sure if this has been discussed before, what is the better one for doing the rails?
I tend to go with the "bigger is better" for tools, but in this case, I was concerned that the bigger one might be too quick to do the spot and there could be a chance of messing it up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
115V is plenty
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I wanted to find out.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely the 115v, the 220v is much harder to control.
A lot of those with 220v units reported burning through on this thin stuff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I purchased the 115v and it is plenty enough to do the job.  I agree with the above posters in regards to the 220v being harder to control and leading to a higher chance of burning through the thin material.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got the 230v, HF had it on sale for $140, it works fine, I haven't burned through anything, its mostly a visual deal anyway, watch the metal until the area around the tongs is red to about the size of a pencil eraser (1 1/2 to 2 seconds), and let cool.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used both... go with the 115v if AKs are your only project.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top